A dolphin is seen swimming
through an oil sheen from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill off East Grand
Terre Island, where the Gulf of Mexico meets Barataria Bay, on the
Louisiana coast, July 31, 2010.
Photograph: Gerald Herbert/AP
17 comments:
Kayla
said...
I think that this article is very interesting. Knowing how bad oil spills are to the environment, I think that these many deaths of dolphins are just the beginning of what is yet to come. If the dolphins are infect and dying then soon enough the other animals will start to die. If all the animals started to die because of infection or a disease than what would happen to the food chain?
This article really made me think. It is so sad that all these dolphins died because of the BP Oil Spill. It is also horrifying that 11 workers died during the spill. That must have been horrifying for their families. Also, the dolphins living in the area where the spill happened either died or began to have abnormalities which they may have passed onto their families. This could have also increased the deaths of the dolphins. Another horrible fact is that other dolphin populations that didn't live int he area affected by the spill, also were diagnosed for the effects of the oil. This may have happened when the dolphins that had been exposed, swan through the other dolphins areas. In conclusion, this was an interesting article and I liked how they explained everything.
I think this article was very interesting, and it shows a great example of how oil spills effect animal life. Since oil spills are bad for the environment by all the big machines companies use to clean up oil, this makes it worse by hurting marine life also. It is really horrible that many dolphins can die from an oil spill, or get very sick. Dolphins main predator are sharks. So, besides being killed by oil spills Dolphins can be killed by sharks as well.
I think this article was very interesting, and it shows a great example of how oil spills effect animal life. Since oil spills are bad for the environment by all the big machines companies use to clean up oil, this makes it worse by hurting marine life also. It is really horrible that many dolphins can die from an oil spill, or get very sick. Dolphins main predator are sharks. So, besides being killed by oil spills Dolphins can be killed by sharks as well.
This was a very intriguing article. However, I wonder if these studies apply to other animals as well as dolphins. Why did they choose to study dolphins? An article I read said there were at least 4 types of mammals affected, and including the deaths this year that show abnormal effects, there may have been about 25,900 mammals harmed. Also, in this article, they mention petroleum hydrocarbon. In the oil spill notes, however, I remember that hydrocarbons were mentioned. Now I really see how the environment is totally ruined because of oil spills, and I think that BP should have to pay larger fines. To me, though, 30 does not seem like enough dolphins to examine before making their assumption. Also, the study was one year after the oil spill. I wonder if dolphins are still affected now, four years later. In the article, Savitz said that she could smell the hydrocarbons, and that could be potentially dangerous to humans as well. Overall, it is frightening that all these dolphins have died, and we need to start doing something to try and save the dolphins from the fumes and the contaminated water.
Though this was a very interesting and intriguing, I found it a bit distracting with pictures and other comments. They should have talked more about the marine life food chain. I really enjoyed learning about this very cool, but sad article because we are learning about oil slicks, and spills. I loved learning a lot because of the pictures. The best thing about this article was probably the depth that the article author went into, and the pictures. I looked at the pictures and was intrigued yet grieved by this sad travesty. Though many dolphin have died and lot of other marine life and birds, I hope we learn a little bit about how dangerous oil spills can be. I thought that this was a very well written article and I would give it a 9/10 stars overall in rating.
I find this article sad, but not surprising. The only thing that I’m surprised about is that no one made connections between dolphin deaths and the spill before this point. Is there any specific reason why dolphins wouldn’t be affected? Also, I think that the symptoms of the dolphins were pretty obvious too. In resonse to Angela’s comment, yes, the ecosystem is still affected by the oil spill, even though the oil was spilled in years before (at least I believe that to be true). I find it slightly amusing whenever I see the BP logo. Its little flower/sun looks so cheerful, when the company is really killing dolphins. Anyway, I thought that this article was very interesting, especially considering that our class is studying this subject and I actually know what they’re talking about when they say “hydrocarbons”.
I thought that this was really interesting. It is quite a coincidence that this is happening during our oil spill unit. This is an example of what an oil spill does to the environment around it. If dolphins are dying, and they eat from a plant and then fish come along and eat that same plant on that same spot, maybe they would get sick. This article was very informative and really helped me realize what actually happens when an oil spill happens.
I thought that this was really interesting. It is quite a coincidence that this is happening during our oil spill unit. This is an example of what an oil spill does to the environment around it. If dolphins are dying, and they eat from a plant and then fish come along and eat that same plant on that same spot, maybe they would get sick. This article was very informative and really helped me realize what actually happens when an oil spill happens.
I think that this article was very interesting, but very sad. I learned a lot reading this article. I enjoyed this article so much because right now we are in our oil spill unit. Reading this article made oil spills even more realistic in my mind. However when I was reading the article I was wondering if the scientist could do anything to get some of the dolphins out of the oil and save them. I think that finding a way to do this would be a good use of money and time. I want to learn more about this topic and see if there is anything I could do to help. Overall I give this article an A-.
I thought this article was interesting bud however also sad. Dolphins are great animals and they are suffering a lot from the BP oil spill. I wondered while I was reading this, does the same affects happen to humans. Dolphins need to breath around every 60 seconds, and that means they are taking in the oil into their lungs. Also, the dolphins probably got sick because they need to come up for air as I mentioned, and that means traveling through the oil slick on the surface of the water. Overall, this article was sad but also a warning of what could happen to humans if our lungs meet oil.
Although this article was well written and focused on a current issue, I felt that it wasn't very informative in some ways. Ok, it is interesting to find out that oil has been the cause of dolphin deaths. It was also very cool to hear about how. When a dolphin comes up for air, it has to breath, and it inhales the hydrocarbons (makes up oil, as we have learned) from the oil. Despite this, really, there is one of the biggest oil spills in history in the area, dolphins and workers begin to die, and no body makes an inference as to what is the cause. One last thing I would like to add about this article is how badly oil spills can affect the environment. In science, we are learning how oil effects our economy, health, and life. By polluting something such as dolphins, they are at risk of being eating. When this happens, the food chain becomes broken, and we could end up eating oil someday.
Oil spills don’t happen very frequently, but when they do both the habitat and the local economy are in for a disaster. This article points out the danger when a spill does happen. Long after the BP oil spill has faded from the headlines, the environment and the animals which live in these areas may experience effects of the oil spill. Even 25 years after the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska they are still working on the clean up form that spill. Our current economy is dependent on oil, thus finding new oil source is important. At the same time, we must take responsibility for the environment so we need to carefully balance our need to explore and find new oil sources with protecting the environment. In addition to this, we should have better trained workers who are more ready to handle the spills efficiently and effectively to stop them from getting too large and harder to clean up.
Wow. I found this article so devastating because I have always known that a giant number of marine life are affected by oil spills in numerous ways. The article mentioned that the oil spill effected dolphins in the short term and long term impact, but more surprisingly, an usually high death rate has been confirmed in the Gulf of Mexico where the dolphins have been captured to be studied. Personally, I feel that only thirty dolphins aren't enough to make an accurate assumption. Would oil spills effect other marine animals like these dolphins have been? Why would other dolphins not in the contaminated waters still be diagnosed with the some of the same health problems as the dolphins in severly oiled water? Over all, this article was really intriguing, yet sad.
Wow. I found this article so devastating because I have always known that a giant number of marine life are affected by oil spills in numerous ways. The article mentioned that the oil spill effected dolphins in the short term and long term impact, but more surprisingly, an usually high death rate has been confirmed in the Gulf of Mexico where the dolphins have been captured to be studied. Personally, I feel that only thirty dolphins aren't enough to make an accurate assumption. Would oil spills effect other marine animals like these dolphins have been? Why would other dolphins not in the contaminated waters still be diagnosed with the some of the same health problems as the dolphins in severly oiled water? Over all, this article was really intriguing, yet sad.
I like how this quote had lots of qualitative and quantitative information about the Dolphin Deaths. Also if these many dolphins die because of the BP Oil Spill. I bet that this sadly is the start of something bad, considering that dolphins are not anywhere on the small side of marine life. I'd rate this a 8 out of 10, I mean it could had more of a plot than it did. It kind of felt like it was just facts and analysis over and over.
17 comments:
I think that this article is very interesting. Knowing how bad oil spills are to the environment, I think that these many deaths of dolphins are just the beginning of what is yet to come. If the dolphins are infect and dying then soon enough the other animals will start to die. If all the animals started to die because of infection or a disease than what would happen to the food chain?
This article really made me think. It is so sad that all these dolphins died because of the BP Oil Spill. It is also horrifying that 11 workers died during the spill. That must have been horrifying for their families. Also, the dolphins living in the area where the spill happened either died or began to have abnormalities which they may have passed onto their families. This could have also increased the deaths of the dolphins. Another horrible fact is that other dolphin populations that didn't live int he area affected by the spill, also were diagnosed for the effects of the oil. This may have happened when the dolphins that had been exposed, swan through the other dolphins areas. In conclusion, this was an interesting article and I liked how they explained everything.
I think this article was very interesting, and it shows a great example of how oil spills effect animal life. Since oil spills are bad for the environment by all the big machines companies use to clean up oil, this makes it worse by hurting marine life also. It is really horrible that many dolphins can die from an oil spill, or get very sick. Dolphins main predator are sharks. So, besides being killed by oil spills Dolphins can be killed by sharks as well.
I think this article was very interesting, and it shows a great example of how oil spills effect animal life. Since oil spills are bad for the environment by all the big machines companies use to clean up oil, this makes it worse by hurting marine life also. It is really horrible that many dolphins can die from an oil spill, or get very sick. Dolphins main predator are sharks. So, besides being killed by oil spills Dolphins can be killed by sharks as well.
This was a very intriguing article. However, I wonder if these studies apply to other animals as well as dolphins. Why did they choose to study dolphins? An article I read said there were at least 4 types of mammals affected, and including the deaths this year that show abnormal effects, there may have been about 25,900 mammals harmed. Also, in this article, they mention petroleum hydrocarbon. In the oil spill notes, however, I remember that hydrocarbons were mentioned. Now I really see how the environment is totally ruined because of oil spills, and I think that BP should have to pay larger fines. To me, though, 30 does not seem like enough dolphins to examine before making their assumption. Also, the study was one year after the oil spill. I wonder if dolphins are still affected now, four years later. In the article, Savitz said that she could smell the hydrocarbons, and that could be potentially dangerous to humans as well. Overall, it is frightening that all these dolphins have died, and we need to start doing something to try and save the dolphins from the fumes and the contaminated water.
Though this was a very interesting and intriguing, I found it a bit distracting with pictures and other comments. They should have talked more about the marine life food chain. I really enjoyed learning about this very cool, but sad article because we are learning about oil slicks, and spills. I loved learning a lot because of the pictures. The best thing about this article was probably the depth that the article author went into, and the pictures. I looked at the pictures and was intrigued yet grieved by this sad travesty. Though many dolphin have died and lot of other marine life and birds, I hope we learn a little bit about how dangerous oil spills can be. I thought that this was a very well written article and I would give it a 9/10 stars overall in rating.
I find this article sad, but not surprising. The only thing that I’m surprised about is that no one made connections between dolphin deaths and the spill before this point. Is there any specific reason why dolphins wouldn’t be affected? Also, I think that the symptoms of the dolphins were pretty obvious too. In resonse to Angela’s comment, yes, the ecosystem is still affected by the oil spill, even though the oil was spilled in years before (at least I believe that to be true). I find it slightly amusing whenever I see the BP logo. Its little flower/sun looks so cheerful, when the company is really killing dolphins. Anyway, I thought that this article was very interesting, especially considering that our class is studying this subject and I actually know what they’re talking about when they say “hydrocarbons”.
I thought that this was really interesting. It is quite a coincidence that this is happening during our oil spill unit. This is an example of what an oil spill does to the environment around it. If dolphins are dying, and they eat from a plant and then fish come along and eat that same plant on that same spot, maybe they would get sick. This article was very informative and really helped me realize what actually happens when an oil spill happens.
I thought that this was really interesting. It is quite a coincidence that this is happening during our oil spill unit. This is an example of what an oil spill does to the environment around it. If dolphins are dying, and they eat from a plant and then fish come along and eat that same plant on that same spot, maybe they would get sick. This article was very informative and really helped me realize what actually happens when an oil spill happens.
I think that this article was very interesting, but very sad. I learned a lot reading this article. I enjoyed this article so much because right now we are in our oil spill unit. Reading this article made oil spills even more realistic in my mind. However when I was reading the article I was wondering if the scientist could do anything to get some of the dolphins out of the oil and save them. I think that finding a way to do this would be a good use of money and time. I want to learn more about this topic and see if there is anything I could do to help. Overall I give this article an A-.
I thought this article was interesting bud however also sad. Dolphins are great animals and they are suffering a lot from the BP oil spill. I wondered while I was reading this, does the same affects happen to humans. Dolphins need to breath around every 60 seconds, and that means they are taking in the oil into their lungs. Also, the dolphins probably got sick because they need to come up for air as I mentioned, and that means traveling through the oil slick on the surface of the water. Overall, this article was sad but also a warning of what could happen to humans if our lungs meet oil.
I thnk that this article was interesting. Knowing how oil spills affect humans, it was interesting to learn how it hurt other animals.
Although this article was well written and focused on a current issue, I felt that it wasn't very informative in some ways. Ok, it is interesting to find out that oil has been the cause of dolphin deaths. It was also very cool to hear about how. When a dolphin comes up for air, it has to breath, and it inhales the hydrocarbons (makes up oil, as we have learned) from the oil. Despite this, really, there is one of the biggest oil spills in history in the area, dolphins and workers begin to die, and no body makes an inference as to what is the cause. One last thing I would like to add about this article is how badly oil spills can affect the environment. In science, we are learning how oil effects our economy, health, and life. By polluting something such as dolphins, they are at risk of being eating. When this happens, the food chain becomes broken, and we could end up eating oil someday.
Oil spills don’t happen very frequently, but when they do both the habitat and the local economy are in for a disaster. This article points out the danger when a spill does happen. Long after the BP oil spill has faded from the headlines, the environment and the animals which live in these areas may experience effects of the oil spill. Even 25 years after the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska they are still working on the clean up form that spill. Our current economy is dependent on oil, thus finding new oil source is important. At the same time, we must take responsibility for the environment so we need to carefully balance our need to explore and find new oil sources with protecting the environment. In addition to this, we should have better trained workers who are more ready to handle the spills efficiently and effectively to stop them from getting too large and harder to clean up.
Wow. I found this article so devastating because I have always known that a giant number of marine life are affected by oil spills in numerous ways. The article mentioned that the oil spill effected dolphins in the short term and long term impact, but more surprisingly, an usually high death rate has been confirmed in the Gulf of Mexico where the dolphins have been captured to be studied. Personally, I feel that only thirty dolphins aren't enough to make an accurate assumption. Would oil spills effect other marine animals like these dolphins have been? Why would other dolphins not in the contaminated waters still be diagnosed with the some of the same health problems as the dolphins in severly oiled water? Over all, this article was really intriguing, yet sad.
Wow. I found this article so devastating because I have always known that a giant number of marine life are affected by oil spills in numerous ways. The article mentioned that the oil spill effected dolphins in the short term and long term impact, but more surprisingly, an usually high death rate has been confirmed in the Gulf of Mexico where the dolphins have been captured to be studied. Personally, I feel that only thirty dolphins aren't enough to make an accurate assumption. Would oil spills effect other marine animals like these dolphins have been? Why would other dolphins not in the contaminated waters still be diagnosed with the some of the same health problems as the dolphins in severly oiled water? Over all, this article was really intriguing, yet sad.
I like how this quote had lots of qualitative and quantitative information about the Dolphin Deaths. Also if these many dolphins die because of the BP Oil Spill. I bet that this sadly is the start of something bad, considering that dolphins are not anywhere on the small side of marine life. I'd rate this a 8 out of 10, I mean it could had more of a plot than it did. It kind of felt like it was just facts and analysis over and over.
Post a Comment