Friday, March 21, 2014

Pocket Diagnosis: App Turns Any Smartphone into a Portable Medical Diagnostic Device

Brought to you by Ben Z.


By quickly getting medical data from the field to doctors or centralized laboratories, it may help slow or limit the spread of pandemics, the authors note.
Credit: Image courtesy of University of Cambridge

3 comments:

Angela said...

This was a semi-okay article. I have to admit- I'm still not sure how well this will work. If the scientists can carry this out, it will be a huge success and worth all that they say it is. However, it seems unreliable. I wanted to see how this app is doing now, and it actually seems to be doing fine. It is reported to be on a variety of websites: accurate, easy to use, though difficult to interpret, and relatively cheap. Overall, it sounds like it is doing pretty well. When I was reading an article, the article quoted something by Cambridge, the creators. It appears that the app works by measuring the electromagnetic radiation, using semiconductor sensors that are in the smartphone's camera, in the colored test zones. It's great that we are finding quicker, easier, more effective, and overall better ways to diagnose some sicknesses. With these benefits, though, comes danger, too. When using technology, there is always room for mistakes. If the app is fooled and something actually is wrong, people, who have started trusting the app, stop trusting their instincts, which places them in danger. On the whole, though, this is a great idea and I'm glad that the scientists made such an app. This is a really important discovery, and it could possibly save lives.

Yvette said...

I think this article highlights a really great use of technology. The World Bank says close to three-quarters of the world's population, including much of the developing world, now has access to a mobile phone.  Now even if only half these mobile phones have cameras, you have still given billions of people better access to health care with a single program.  Repurposing everyday tech is not only great for people's health but it's good for the environment. There are already a few phones with heart rate monitors.  These programs and other forms of wearable tech give people the ability to track their health in ways they never had before.  Imagine a heart rate program that stores a patient's heart rate data for a cardiologist so that the the doctor has more than a single snapshot to see and is probably more likely to be able to diagnose the condition better.  One possible downside to wearable tech is what happens to the data if you lost the phone or device. Aside from this, I think that we should continue to improve on this kind of technology.

Benjamin Z. said...

I think this article talks about a great idea, but could be more developed. Like Angela stated, if this idea works, I am sure this would sky rocket and become über popular in a short amount of time. As I was reading the article, I think they kind of smoothed over a part that could use more talking about: Especially with mobile devices at home, there is a lot of room for error. There are too many steps involved in analyzing. First comes the samples, then comes the strip of paper, then finally, the cameras. Anybody who buys this should not trust this that much. I would go to a doctor if this app diagnosed me with something like a urinary tract infection, but then what is the point? If you have regular check-ups, then what purpose does this serve? If have seen much better ideas that involved smartphones. I got to see a case that doubled up as a heart monitor, and it was so cool! That is a good idea. Hey, I just ran the mile, let's do an experiment on heart rates. Overall, the idea is great, but could definitely use development. I could also see other inventions like these coming out. What if there was a watch that beeped when your blood pressure was too high? These kinds of things can change the world forever.