Thursday, March 13, 2014

Blue Eyes in the Stone Age

Brought to you by Ben Z.


This is an artist’s educated guess as to what La Braña 1 might have looked like. 
Carles Lalueza-Fox, Institute of Evolutionary Biology (CSIC-UPF) 

13 comments:

Will said...

I find it very interesting that blue-eyed people emerged before those with blond hair and pale skin. Being blue-eyed myself, I picked this article out of the bunch. It is amazing that scientists could interpret this from a 7,000-year-old skeleton. They also somehow discovered that the man was lactose-intolerant as an adult. Forensic anthropology has come a long, long way over the years.

Jake F. said...

I am totally blown away by the fact that the forensic anthropologists were able to figure this stuff out. This is exactly what we are currently learning in Anthropology, so it is very interesting to find how much people can gather from a skeleton. It is also interesting that this man had blue eyes before brighter colored eyes and skin even existed. Well, I guess it did exist because he had it. Anyway, I wish the article had more information. I would like to know more about why and how he had blue eyes and if anyone else of his village/group also had blue or brightly colored eyes. I rate this article 4 out of 5.

Juliet said...

I agree with Jake, in the way that I wish it had explained if more people had blue eyes or if it was just him. That is of course, assuming they did find other skeletons, but I guess they must have. I did some research and it turns out people with blue eyes actually can't see as well as people with brown or green eyes, which explains why scientists would not have expected to find these kinds of results. Like Jake and Will, I am amazed that forensics can discover such minor things. I am really excited to see where science can lead us in the future. Anthropology is a really interesting subject, and having the amazing opportunity to study it here at Mirman, these sort of articles are really fascinatinating to me.

Shirell said...

When I read this article I was most interested in what machines they used to analyze the DNA of this stone age man. When looking it up i found that DNA analysis is ] very expensive and slow. However, to speed up the process, a Massachusetts company called NetBio has developed a system called Accelerated Nuclear DNA Equipment (sponsored today by the FBI and the U.S. departments of defense and homeland security) can generate high-quality DNA profiles in less than 90 minutes. Overall, I found this article to be fascinating as well as the additional research I did.

Morgan said...

I thought this article was useless. Why shouldn't they have blue eyes in the stone age, it the stone age not the time of neanderthals!! I would give this article a 1 out of 10 because it had almost no information and was completely useless. I do agree with jake though. It is awesome how they can figure all of theses things out with just a few strains of DNA. I do wish they gave us more information about everything.

Emmie said...

This is really cool! I had always thought that blond hair and blue eyes developed together, but I guess it makes sense that they didn't. My dad actually knows someone with dark skin and blue eyes. This also scientifically makes sense because genetic mutations are how evolution starts, and I believe that the reaon that more dark-skinned people don't have blue eyes is because studies show that blue eyes don't see as well as other colors because darker colors absorb more light, resulting in less sun damage. And the way evolution works is organisms with feature that better equip them for survival survive longer than other animals. I also think it is amazing that they can figure all of thi information out from just a skeleton. It is really amazing what forensic anthropology can do. I give this article an 8/10 because it could have given more information, but over all I liked this article.

Jack said...

This is quite interesting. It is amazing how the scientists could find ancient eye colors by analyzing DNA. It was also interesting how scientists could find skin and hair color by analyzing pigment DNA. I have always thought it frustrating that scientists were unable to find out what the color of different dinosaurs were. Since the bones have turned to rock, as of now this is impossible. But it seems odd how they would assume all stone age people had dark skin just because this individual had dark skin. I suppose that that long ago there was not a lot of genetic mixing in areas, so if somebody had dark skin they might all have had it. 7,000 years ago is very recent in evolutionary terms. Nevertheless, it is still a cool article.

Maddie W. said...

I think that this article was interesting. I liked this article because it educated me on the history of humans. It is cool how scientists figured out that blue eye genes came before blond hair and light skin. They use the example of La Braña 1, but is this there only example? Do they have other information to back them up? I would like to learn more on this topic. I give this article an A.

Alec A. said...

This article is interesting. I always thought that people form the Stone Age had brown eyes. I am even more surprised that we now have the materials to find out what eye color a 7,000 year-old skeleton has. It said later that this skeleton had dark skin and hair. I don't know of that many people who have dark skin and hair color, but have blue eyes. Again it is also amazing how we can find out what skin, hair, eye color, and race of a 7,000 year-old skeleton from the Stone Age. Overall this was a very good article.

Loran said...

This is really cool. I can't believe that anthropologists were able to figure out what shade of skin the stone age man had just out of the leftover pigments found. I really wish we could do this with other animals so we can figure out more about ancient animals. I also agree with Maddie though. They need a lot more info. to back up their discovery. It would make it a lot more interesting. What information they gave us was about 4 paragraphs.

Davis said...

It's simply fascinating how evolution can conclude (in a way) that the norm of aesthetics are nothing like they were in that era. Unless of course, this was just a rare find, and nothing like other fossils coming from the same descent.

Davis said...

I wonder if the digestion of certain foods and minerals like starch and dairy affected the eye color and features in general? As (or at least stated by a health-oriented database upon a website) eating raw foods can affect the eye color. I'm guessing not severely of course, for if it was intense I'm sure that we all would have grey-colored irises now. Yet, it may have been more severe in those times, as no chemically-varied foods existed, and there was not a variety of foods of any sort. I would believe game and milk were the most common.

Jonas said...

I find it surprising that blue eyes were more common than blond hair and pale skin back then. If you look at the comparison today, you'll see that that has changed a lot. I found it incredible how scientists found a 7000 year old skeleton in a cave in Northwestern Spain, and found out it was Lactose Intolerant?! I get that lightly colored people were not the 1. gene of this time, but the fact that they were not ahead of dark hair, dark skin, and blue eyes kind of wowed me. Anyway I still found this article very interesting and would rate it a 9.5 out of a 10.