I LOVE how TED took things that children really love and described it scientifically. If anybody else is like me, I am always dying to know how things work and why. They explained baking and Science in one video with was mixed with humor, and lots of understanding.
This is awesome! I had no idea that so much science and chemistry was involved in baking cookies! The way they described it was clear and detailed. It also could make baking cookies easier! I was especially fascinated at how the butter created air pockets in a cookie to make it light and flaky. I also didn't know that butter was simply made up of water, fat, and dairy. I wonder if the chemical reactions involved in baking the cookie would be different if it was an oatmeal cookie, or even an oatmeal raisin cookie. How would the oatmeal affect the way these chemical reactions work? Anyways, I loved this one! Like Diba says, it took something that kids love and found the science in it (it also made me hungry!) Overall I give it 10 out of 10 stars.
Wow! I had no idea so much science was involved in such a seemingly simple task, baking cookies. Before this video, I thought when you put cookies in the oven they sort of melted and got flatter. Yet, there is so much more! I still am a bit confused on what an emulsion is, but besides that, this was an amazing video. Go TED!
As a baker myself, I really thought that this was a cool video. I actually liked watching this more than reading an article. I always knew there was science in baking or cooking, but I never thought that there was this much! This was really cool to learn about what butter is, how protein strings unravel, and the salmonella bacteria. I really enjoyed learning about all of the different chemical bonds, so this was super cool. Along with Diba, I also love learning about new things, and I thought that this was really cool for kids. Everyone loves cookies, and I thought that it was cool to learn about it scientifically. This was a super cool article, and will certainly not mind watching it again. This was a great article, and give it 10 out of 10 stars.
I thought this video was pretty cool. I love baking, especially cookies, and now I know what is happening when I am baking. I didn't know science had to do with baking. I really liked the video because it really went into depth about how a cookie becomes a cookie. I liked how the video went into depth about the molecules and what happens when they are mixed together. For example, water and oil don't mix together well. So, when the article said the water was trying to get away from the fat it made scene because fat has a lot of oil in it. I loved this article.
I thought this video was pretty cool. I love baking, especially cookies, and now I know what is happening when I am baking. I didn't know science had to do with baking. I really liked the video because it really went into depth about how a cookie becomes a cookie. I liked how the video went into depth about the molecules and what happens when they are mixed together. For example, water and oil don't mix together well. So, when the article said the water was trying to get away from the fat it made scene because fat has a lot of oil in it. I loved this article.
That was amazing. The part I liked most about this video was the pictures and animations. The images were really good and they also explained what the speaker was trying to say really well. Another favorite part was when they said that you didn't need a kitchen timer to time how long the cookies are baking. You can just use your nose, a sensitive scientific instrument. I found it very interesting that many different reactions happen depending to what temperature the oven is at. Question: Why are Milliard called this? Is it named after a person? My last comment is that I will never eat rough dough anymore because I didn't know that salmonella is in raw dough.
This video was great! I loved how the video taught me the science behind cooking and other interesting things in a fun video. The information was very easy to understand because they used visuals and cute little jokes to help me process all of that information while being entertained. I knew that there was science behind cooking, but I didn't know the exact details of it and learning about it was really cool. The way they explained what the cookie looks like while it's in the oven was so interesting. I never knew that that's how they become their cookie like shape. I also had no idea about how the bacteria in a chicken egg changes as it is put into the dough, and into the oven. I also thought that the way they explained salmonella was really easy to understand. My question is, like Lilah said, what if it was an oatmeal cookie? Or cookie that wasn't exactly made out of dough? Will the same thing happen? What if it had dried fruits and berries in it? I thought that TED did a great job on making this video entertaining. I really learned a lot. 5 out of 5 stars.
I completely agree with Diba. I also really love the way TED takes something that kids enjoy, in this case cookies, and described it in a way so that kids can understand it easily and still grasp the concept of bacteria and chemistry.
I have never really wondered about cookies before, but once I read the description I realized that I had no idea how it worked. The video described it really well, including what happened at specific temperatures, what the reactions were called, and how they worked. It went into very deep detail, and the topic was one that people won't get bored with and will understand more than they would with a different topic. Now that I think about it, all of the things mentioned in the video make perfect sense. I enjoyed the video a lot and hope that TED Ed keeps up the great work. I give this video a 9.5 out of 10.
I didn't know that something simple could be scientific. I just knew baking cookies as unhealthy, fun, and messy. Now, I know the actual on how cookies baked. They used visuals to lure you into the video more. I also thought that the humor was a great factor as well. they made it fun, and entertaining. Who know that steam made the cookie puff up. I also have a question. How does a cookie burn? In conclusion, I think that ted has many fun things to share with children.
I never thought just a simple delicious treat could be involved with science so much. I used to believe that the heat of the oven just melted the cookies than they got crispy on the edges. Now I know that there is a lot of chemistry going on inside that oven. This was a great video, and I wish every cook or bakery could watch this video.
I found very interesting. I thought that it was cool that all this is happening inside the oven for about 30 minutes. I liked the part about caramelization the best. I would have never guessed that your cookies are not caramelized if they are below 355 degrees. I think this part will make me a better baker in the future.
This video was so much fun! I loved the part where they referenced the sci-fi horror film, Alien. I bake cookies all the time and I had no clue about most of what happens in the oven. I sort of knew that your nose knows when the cookies are ready, because whenever the cookies are almost done, I can smell them from my living room. In conclusion, I thought that this video had lots of humor and it was very understandable.
This is really cool. Especially how it talks specifically about each and every thing that happens at a certain temperature. I never knew that caramelization can happen through heat. I would never even question the fact that there is a theory called Maillard Reactions, that part was really interesting to me. I love how TED and Brain Pop take something that kids would love to watch and put it into science so that they also learn a few things. Not only was that video ridiculously interesting, but it made me starve. I know what I'm having for dessert!! :) I rate this 11 out of 10.
I would like to respond to Rachel's comment: How does a cookie burn?
Of course I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the moisture in the cookies totally evaporates because of the heat. Then, once the moisture is evaporated, there is still more heat applied. Therefore, the cookies are burnt because there is not any moisture to contradict the heat. It's like trying to put out a fire without any water. Does that make sense?
This article proved itself to be very intriguing. To begin, it was not clear to me that the art of baking cookies could be described in such excruciating detail. Also, the detail was not regular, it was scientific. I found the article very enjoyable, and I can definitely learned a lot. For example, before I watched this video, I had no idea what happens when you put cookies in the oven. I just thought that there was some kind of "chemical reaction", and then something happened. Well, I learned that there is butter inside the cookie, which melts and spreads out the cookie, but since it is an emulsion of water and fat, it doesn't mix. When the trapped water from the butter is released, it pushes outward. At 212 degrees, the water evaporates and the cookie dries out. By putting it at 310 degrees, the cookie caramelizes. This is because of the Mallard reaction: when proteins and sugars break down/rearrange themselves. This rearrangement reflects off light, which gives it the coat that you sometimes see on turkey and hamburgers. Despite the fact that I enjoyed this article, I really don't understand the fact that we are placing our priorities in things like this. Sure, chemistry of cookies are cool, but what about real chemistry? Of all of the 53.9 million kids, there are only 50,000 teachers for chemistry. That is a ratio of 1,078 kids per teacher, and we know that can't be true. So please, focus on real things and real articles, guys. To end, I give this article a 10 out of 10.
To answer Lilah's question, I think it would not matter if it was an oatmeal cookie or not. A cookie is a cookie, no matter what kind. It contains the same time of material, but I do have a question about gluten free...
WOW! I love to bake so I found this video super interesting. I never thought that there was such a scientific process behind yummy cookies. I always thought that the cool part of baking cookies was making the dough. Now I know that a even cooler process happens in the oven. Also, I thought that it was all one small process. Like put it in the oven, let it cook, take it out, enjoy. Now I realized that there is so much more to baking cookies than just the stereo type answer. Next time I make cookies I will put a chair right next to the oven and watch this whole process. I really learned a lot from this video. The fact that they had all these scientific terms to describe cookies was awesome. I definitely give this article a A+++++++.
I thought that this video made me feel strange about eating eggs as well as other foods. I decided look up which other foods salmonella is found in and found that products like unprocessed milk, meat, and water all have this bacteria. However, it is also carried by turtles, rodents, and birds. Along with that, one type of salmonella causes typhoid fever, although it is rare in our area. So over all, salmonella is not the friendliest of the bacteria. Continuing what Benjamin Z. said gluten free might have a difference on the baking process, but what about vegan. Because there is no milk wouldn't that mix up all the chemical protein changes.
I thought that this video made me feel strange about eating eggs as well as other foods. I decided look up which other foods salmonella is found in and found that products like unprocessed milk, meat, and water all have this bacteria. However, it is also carried by turtles, rodents, and birds. Along with that, one type of salmonella causes typhoid fever, although it is rare in our area. So over all, salmonella is not the friendliest of the bacteria. Continuing what Benjamin Z. said gluten free might have a difference on the baking process, but what about vegan? Because there is no milk wouldn't that mix up all the chemical protein changes?
WHY! My internet stopped working for a second, when I was about to finish, and it was so awesome. Now I have to make a lame comment cause it's 9:20.
This is a very interesting article. It demonstrates that there is science behind everything. From making a cookie, to launching a rocket. There are many factors that may change your final result. For example not putting enough butter, which will change the final result to less airy and flaky. On the other hand, if we didn't have salmonella, heating up to such a high temprature may not be needed. Also, how would the flavoring change your final result. What if the chocolate chips mealted to much. Or if the raisins exploded, or if you heated it up to high and for to long. Would it be bad for your, or good for you. If you put to much baking soda, would there be too much carbon dioxide, leading a cookie to be lethal.
Who would have thought there was so much happening within the cookie as it cooked? I was fascinated by the fact that the butter melts so it can spread, but for this to happen, the water and fat in the butter separate to flatten it. I did know that something in raw eggs made your stomach fell terrible, but I didn't know there were bacteria that mischievously hid in the eggs. I was mainly interested in the caramelization stage because caramel is one of my favorite sweets. The way that the molecules break down and create a sweet and bitter taste and aroma, makes me hungry and want to bake cookies above 355 degrees! I loved this TED video.
Now I'm craving cookies! I have seen the time-lapsed videos of cookies baking, and have always wondered what exactly goes on in there. Now that I know how much science is in it, cookies are so much cooler. I loved how they explained all of the different steps (i.e. caramelization, etc.) This was probably my favorite TEDed video ever. I totally agree with Diba in the fact that they make topics so fun and easy to understand. I wonder what would happen if you were to remove the main protein (eggs) and replace it with something else? Or just remove it altogether? I am guessing that your cookie wouldn't bake or wouldn't rise at all. The cookie needs those main proteins to bake properly. It would be so interesting to do an experiment on this to find out which substitutions are the best and why. I give this video a 10/10 because t was super engaging and a lot more informative than an article would have been.
This video was so incredible! Who knew cookies were so complicated! I really liked the fact that the narrator explained everything so that it was scientific, but so I still understood what he was saying. Definitely one of my favorite articles (or in this case it's a video) ever posted.
I have never really considered how baking works, in fact, I have never really baked before. It was interesting to learn about all of the chemical reactions that take place inside of the oven. This video also made me a little scared about eating products such as eggs, milk, meat, and water as they may contain salmonella. It was also interesting learning about the caramelization process. I liked how this article explained the processes of emulsion, why the cookie turns out like it should, and many other useful facts the next time you decide to bake some cookies.
26 comments:
I LOVE how TED took things that children really love and described it scientifically. If anybody else is like me, I am always dying to know how things work and why. They explained baking and Science in one video with was mixed with humor, and lots of understanding.
This is awesome! I had no idea that so much science and chemistry was involved in baking cookies! The way they described it was clear and detailed. It also could make baking cookies easier! I was especially fascinated at how the butter created air pockets in a cookie to make it light and flaky. I also didn't know that butter was simply made up of water, fat, and dairy. I wonder if the chemical reactions involved in baking the cookie would be different if it was an oatmeal cookie, or even an oatmeal raisin cookie. How would the oatmeal affect the way these chemical reactions work?
Anyways, I loved this one! Like Diba says, it took something that kids love and found the science in it (it also made me hungry!) Overall I give it 10 out of 10 stars.
Wow! I had no idea so much science was involved in such a seemingly simple task, baking cookies. Before this video, I thought when you put cookies in the oven they sort of melted and got flatter. Yet, there is so much more! I still am a bit confused on what an emulsion is, but besides that, this was an amazing video. Go TED!
As a baker myself, I really thought that this was a cool video. I actually liked watching this more than reading an article. I always knew there was science in baking or cooking, but I never thought that there was this much! This was really cool to learn about what butter is, how protein strings unravel, and the salmonella bacteria. I really enjoyed learning about all of the different chemical bonds, so this was super cool. Along with Diba, I also love learning about new things, and I thought that this was really cool for kids. Everyone loves cookies, and I thought that it was cool to learn about it scientifically. This was a super cool article, and will certainly not mind watching it again. This was a great article, and give it 10 out of 10 stars.
I thought this video was pretty cool. I love baking, especially cookies, and now I know what is happening when I am baking. I didn't know science had to do with baking. I really liked the video because it really went into depth about how a cookie becomes a cookie. I liked how the video went into depth about the molecules and what happens when they are mixed together. For example, water and oil don't mix together well. So, when the article said the water was trying to get away from the fat it made scene because fat has a lot of oil in it. I loved this article.
I thought this video was pretty cool. I love baking, especially cookies, and now I know what is happening when I am baking. I didn't know science had to do with baking. I really liked the video because it really went into depth about how a cookie becomes a cookie. I liked how the video went into depth about the molecules and what happens when they are mixed together. For example, water and oil don't mix together well. So, when the article said the water was trying to get away from the fat it made scene because fat has a lot of oil in it. I loved this article.
That was amazing. The part I liked most about this video was the pictures and animations. The images were really good and they also explained what the speaker was trying to say really well. Another favorite part was when they said that you didn't need a kitchen timer to time how long the cookies are baking. You can just use your nose, a sensitive scientific instrument. I found it very interesting that many different reactions happen depending to what temperature the oven is at. Question: Why are Milliard called this? Is it named after a person? My last comment is that I will never eat rough dough anymore because I didn't know that salmonella is in raw dough.
This video was great! I loved how the video taught me the science behind cooking and other interesting things in a fun video. The information was very easy to understand because they used visuals and cute little jokes to help me process all of that information while being entertained. I knew that there was science behind cooking, but I didn't know the exact details of it and learning about it was really cool. The way they explained what the cookie looks like while it's in the oven was so interesting. I never knew that that's how they become their cookie like shape. I also had no idea about how the bacteria in a chicken egg changes as it is put into the dough, and into the oven. I also thought that the way they explained salmonella was really easy to understand. My question is, like Lilah said, what if it was an oatmeal cookie? Or cookie that wasn't exactly made out of dough? Will the same thing happen? What if it had dried fruits and berries in it? I thought that TED did a great job on making this video entertaining. I really learned a lot. 5 out of 5 stars.
I completely agree with Diba. I also really love the way TED takes something that kids enjoy, in this case cookies, and described it in a way so that kids can understand it easily and still grasp the concept of bacteria and chemistry.
I have never really wondered about cookies before, but once I read the description I realized that I had no idea how it worked. The video described it really well, including what happened at specific temperatures, what the reactions were called, and how they worked. It went into very deep detail, and the topic was one that people won't get bored with and will understand more than they would with a different topic. Now that I think about it, all of the things mentioned in the video make perfect sense. I enjoyed the video a lot and hope that TED Ed keeps up the great work. I give this video a 9.5 out of 10.
I didn't know that something simple could be scientific. I just knew baking cookies as unhealthy, fun, and messy. Now, I know the actual on how cookies baked. They used visuals to lure you into the video more. I also thought that the humor was a great factor as well. they made it fun, and entertaining. Who know that steam made the cookie puff up. I also have a question. How does a cookie burn? In conclusion, I think that ted has many fun things to share with children.
I never thought just a simple delicious treat could be involved with science so much. I used to believe that the heat of the oven just melted the cookies than they got crispy on the edges. Now I know that there is a lot of chemistry going on inside that oven. This was a great video, and I wish every cook or bakery could watch this video.
I found very interesting. I thought that it was cool that all this is happening inside the oven for about 30 minutes. I liked the part about caramelization the best. I would have never guessed that your cookies are not caramelized if they are below 355 degrees. I think this part will make me a better baker in the future.
This video was so much fun! I loved the part where they referenced the sci-fi horror film, Alien. I bake cookies all the time and I had no clue about most of what happens in the oven. I sort of knew that your nose knows when the cookies are ready, because whenever the cookies are almost done, I can smell them from my living room. In conclusion, I thought that this video had lots of humor and it was very understandable.
This is really cool. Especially how it talks specifically about each and every thing that happens at a certain temperature. I never knew that caramelization can happen through heat. I would never even question the fact that there is a theory called Maillard Reactions, that part was really interesting to me. I love how TED and Brain Pop take something that kids would love to watch and put it into science so that they also learn a few things. Not only was that video ridiculously interesting, but it made me starve. I know what I'm having for dessert!! :) I rate this 11 out of 10.
I would like to respond to Rachel's comment: How does a cookie burn?
Of course I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the moisture in the cookies totally evaporates because of the heat. Then, once the moisture is evaporated, there is still more heat applied. Therefore, the cookies are burnt because there is not any moisture to contradict the heat. It's like trying to put out a fire without any water. Does that make sense?
This article proved itself to be very intriguing. To begin, it was not clear to me that the art of baking cookies could be described in such excruciating detail. Also, the detail was not regular, it was scientific. I found the article very enjoyable, and I can definitely learned a lot. For example, before I watched this video, I had no idea what happens when you put cookies in the oven. I just thought that there was some kind of "chemical reaction", and then something happened. Well, I learned that there is butter inside the cookie, which melts and spreads out the cookie, but since it is an emulsion of water and fat, it doesn't mix. When the trapped water from the butter is released, it pushes outward. At 212 degrees, the water evaporates and the cookie dries out. By putting it at 310 degrees, the cookie caramelizes. This is because of the Mallard reaction: when proteins and sugars break down/rearrange themselves. This rearrangement reflects off light, which gives it the coat that you sometimes see on turkey and hamburgers. Despite the fact that I enjoyed this article, I really don't understand the fact that we are placing our priorities in things like this. Sure, chemistry of cookies are cool, but what about real chemistry? Of all of the 53.9 million kids, there are only 50,000 teachers for chemistry. That is a ratio of 1,078 kids per teacher, and we know that can't be true. So please, focus on real things and real articles, guys. To end, I give this article a 10 out of 10.
To answer Lilah's question, I think it would not matter if it was an oatmeal cookie or not. A cookie is a cookie, no matter what kind. It contains the same time of material, but I do have a question about gluten free...
WOW! I love to bake so I found this video super interesting. I never thought that there was such a scientific process behind yummy cookies. I always thought that the cool part of baking cookies was making the dough. Now I know that a even cooler process happens in the oven. Also, I thought that it was all one small process. Like put it in the oven, let it cook, take it out, enjoy. Now I realized that there is so much more to baking cookies than just the stereo type answer. Next time I make cookies I will put a chair right next to the oven and watch this whole process. I really learned a lot from this video. The fact that they had all these scientific terms to describe cookies was awesome. I definitely give this article a A+++++++.
I thought that this video made me feel strange about eating eggs as well as other foods. I decided look up which other foods salmonella is found in and found that products like unprocessed milk, meat, and water all have this bacteria. However, it is also carried by turtles, rodents, and birds. Along with that, one type of salmonella causes typhoid fever, although it is rare in our area. So over all, salmonella is not the friendliest of the bacteria. Continuing what Benjamin Z. said gluten free might have a difference on the baking process, but what about vegan. Because there is no milk wouldn't that mix up all the chemical protein changes.
I thought that this video made me feel strange about eating eggs as well as other foods. I decided look up which other foods salmonella is found in and found that products like unprocessed milk, meat, and water all have this bacteria. However, it is also carried by turtles, rodents, and birds. Along with that, one type of salmonella causes typhoid fever, although it is rare in our area. So over all, salmonella is not the friendliest of the bacteria. Continuing what Benjamin Z. said gluten free might have a difference on the baking process, but what about vegan? Because there is no milk wouldn't that mix up all the chemical protein changes?
WHY! My internet stopped working for a second, when I was about to finish, and it was so awesome. Now I have to make a lame comment cause it's 9:20.
This is a very interesting article. It demonstrates that there is science behind everything. From making a cookie, to launching a rocket. There are many factors that may change your final result. For example not putting enough butter, which will change the final result to less airy and flaky. On the other hand, if we didn't have salmonella, heating up to such a high temprature may not be needed. Also, how would the flavoring change your final result. What if the chocolate chips mealted to much. Or if the raisins exploded, or if you heated it up to high and for to long. Would it be bad for your, or good for you. If you put to much baking soda, would there be too much carbon dioxide, leading a cookie to be lethal.
Who would have thought there was so much happening within the cookie as it cooked? I was fascinated by the fact that the butter melts so it can spread, but for this to happen, the water and fat in the butter separate to flatten it. I did know that something in raw eggs made your stomach fell terrible, but I didn't know there were bacteria that mischievously hid in the eggs. I was mainly interested in the caramelization stage because caramel is one of my favorite sweets. The way that the molecules break down and create a sweet and bitter taste and aroma, makes me hungry and want to bake cookies above 355 degrees! I loved this TED video.
Now I'm craving cookies! I have seen the time-lapsed videos of cookies baking, and have always wondered what exactly goes on in there. Now that I know how much science is in it, cookies are so much cooler. I loved how they explained all of the different steps (i.e. caramelization, etc.) This was probably my favorite TEDed video ever. I totally agree with Diba in the fact that they make topics so fun and easy to understand. I wonder what would happen if you were to remove the main protein (eggs) and replace it with something else? Or just remove it altogether? I am guessing that your cookie wouldn't bake or wouldn't rise at all. The cookie needs those main proteins to bake properly. It would be so interesting to do an experiment on this to find out which substitutions are the best and why. I give this video a 10/10 because t was super engaging and a lot more informative than an article would have been.
This video was so incredible! Who knew cookies were so complicated! I really liked the fact that the narrator explained everything so that it was scientific, but so I still understood what he was saying. Definitely one of my favorite articles (or in this case it's a video) ever posted.
I have never really considered how baking works, in fact, I have never really baked before. It was interesting to learn about all of the chemical reactions that take place inside of the oven. This video also made me a little scared about eating products such as eggs, milk, meat, and water as they may contain salmonella. It was also interesting learning about the caramelization process. I liked how this article explained the processes of emulsion, why the cookie turns out like it should, and many other useful facts the next time you decide to bake some cookies.
Post a Comment