Mitik, a plucky walrus calf, already weighs 234 pounds.
Alaska Sea Life Center
13 comments:
Shirell
said...
I thought that this article was incredibly sad but heartwarming. I love that they are trying to put Mitik and Kulu into the same in environment because they have each lost the opposite figure. I started to think about how Mitik's mother must have died, but found on looking it up, that other webpages also lacked the piece of information. However, I thought that it may have been because of the hunting boats that were out at sea. Overall I thought that this article would make anyone smile.
I find it very sad that Mitik, the chubby, mustached, baby walrus was orphaned at only around three months old. It is a miracle that Mit was found by the passengers of a small hunting ship far from the shore. I am glad that there are other walruses that Mitik can live with, like the other orphan, Pakak, and the two females, Kulu and Nuka so that he won't be isolated for too much longer. In conclusion, I am both sad that Mitik's mother is dead, and happy that he as a second chance to find new walrus friends in the New York Aquarium.
What an poor adorable baby walrus. I thought that this article was super cool because it taught me about one of my favorite subjects, marine biology. I thought that what they did to rescue these 2 baby walrus was selfless and incredibly generous. I wish we could help marine life, but it seems as if we are the ones causing all of these issues. I thought that this article was really cool and I really liked it because it went into a lot of depth about how and where they rescued the walruses. I thought that the picture was really cute. (The picture at the top of the article.) I really agre with Shirell about this article making people smile, although in the begining I thought that this was a little bit sad. Overall this was bitter sweet.
It's simply amazing and inspiring how Mit can survive in America, especially for the fact of the large difference between New York and Alaska. After both the two original seals offspring passing away, I do hope that Mitik will live on for years on.
Also, to add on to my first comment, I would like to add about how I adore that the director of the aquarium, no matter how small a deed, evidently cared for Mit's travel, and instead of tranquilizing him and leaving the poor soul unknowingly stranded in cargo is truly caring, and I'm sure all of us appreciate it.
Wow! I thought this article was very interesting and exciting. It is great that these animals are being rescued. They are such amazing creatures, and are so important. As I was reading this article, I realized that, in general, I don’t know much about walruses. I hope to research this unique and fascinating species further.
My research produced a number of interesting facts about walruses. First, a walrus has a very unique and special appearance. It is light brown in color, has flippers, a large head, a rather short muzzle, little eyes, whiskers, and tusks. Their tusks can be used to defend themselves, cut ice, or get out of the ocean. Male walruses’ tusks can reach lengths over three-feet long, while females’ can measure at about two and one-half feet. In order to fuel themselves, walruses eat a variety of different species. Traditionally, their diet consists of clams, mussels, and other bottom dwelling animals. According to scientists, there are two different types of walruses; the Atlantic Walrus and the Pacific Walrus. In total, the walrus population numbers at around 250,000. Pacific walruses make up the vast majority of the population, (approximately 200,00). Sadly, in the past, Pacific walruses were regularly hunted. Now, however, they are growing in population again. Though they are both, of course, walruses, the two different types live in very different areas. The Pacific walrus inhabits countries such as Bering, Chukchi, and the Laptev Sea, while the Atlantic Walrus is mostly found near the coast in Canada and Greenland. As the article mentioned, walruses are extremely social animals. They like having company, and often gather in large numbers. When it is not breeding season, male and female walruses gather in separate herds. They show their dominance through displays that involve aggressive behavior. Normally, the largest walrus exhibits the most aggression. For the most part, walruses spend lots of time in the ocean. In fact, they actually spend around two thirds of their lives in the water. Usually walruses move towards the north in the summer time, and towards the south in the winter. While these walruses migrate, however, some females go onto the ice in order to give birth. Walrus mating season is primarily between December and March. Usually only one calf is born to a mother at a time, but twins have happened before. Calves exhibit a sort of gray to brown color, and weigh around 99-165 pounds when just born. They grow quickly, and turn more of a red/brown color after a couple of weeks. As I am sure you can see, these creature are incredibly unique and amazing animals. I think it is important that humans continue to help, study, and learn about them.
At the beginning of the article, the director had a quote that I think very noble and inspiring. That is a great thing to say in my opinion. I thought this article was splendiferous, thank you Samantha. Its kind of inspiring also how Mit can adjust from the chilly waters of the ever so chilly Alaska, to the big city that is New York. Walruses play an important role in the marine ecosystem of today, so with that being said, I think it is great to learn tons about them. I would rate this article a 9.5 out of 10
I thought this article was interesting. It surprised me how the hunting ship didn't kill Mitik. I also found it strange that they were trying to get Kulu and Mitik to breed. One is 17 years old, and the other is 15 weeks old. Even if they waited for Mitik to grow up, it would still be a big age difference. I also found it sad but fascinated that a walrus will die if it is left alone. One of the polar bears at a zoo that I went to died, and the other bear was looking very sad and lying down doing nothing. People think of animals as not having feelings, but this article shows tat they do. Their feelings can even affect if they live or not. I think this is because if a few animals in captivity live together for a long time, they form a strong bond, and if one dies, the others lose the will to live, especially if they become all alone. It would be interesting to study the mechanism for this.
I was so touched by this article. The way that they were able to rescue Mitik and slowly nurse him back to normal, is amazing. I was interested in how he was found by a few people on a little boat in the ocean. What would happen if Matik had never been found and rescued? Would he have died? When he transitions from Alaska to America, will he have any problems with the weather, confinement, or food? I was so impressed by the way the director of the aquarium was concerned about the walrus' comfortableness instead of his own. His act of kindness makes me wish there were more people in the world that would put others first before themselves, and look at others' perspectives instead of making decisions to only benefit yourself.
I think that this article was very sad. Poor Mitik was orphaned at three months old. I think that it was a miracle that they were able to save two baby walruses.
I agree with will that it was a miracle that Mitik was found. I am also glad that Mitik can live with his own kind. Hopefully that will help him settle in. I am sad that Mitik's mother is dead, but at least Mitik is alive.
I also agree that this was a true miracle story. I think that it is great that he can be nursed back to health. The only problem is, how is he going to do socially? Are there any ways to to insure that the other walruses are not mean to him. Overall, this is a great story and I hope the best for Mitik.
13 comments:
I thought that this article was incredibly sad but heartwarming. I love that they are trying to put Mitik and Kulu into the same in environment because they have each lost the opposite figure. I started to think about how Mitik's mother must have died, but found on looking it up, that other webpages also lacked the piece of information. However, I thought that it may have been because of the hunting boats that were out at sea. Overall I thought that this article would make anyone smile.
I find it very sad that Mitik, the chubby, mustached, baby walrus was orphaned at only around three months old. It is a miracle that Mit was found by the passengers of a small hunting ship far from the shore. I am glad that there are other walruses that Mitik can live with, like the other orphan, Pakak, and the two females, Kulu and Nuka so that he won't be isolated for too much longer. In conclusion, I am both sad that Mitik's mother is dead, and happy that he as a second chance to find new walrus friends in the New York Aquarium.
What an poor adorable baby walrus. I thought that this article was super cool because it taught me about one of my favorite subjects, marine biology. I thought that what they did to rescue these 2 baby walrus was selfless and incredibly generous. I wish we could help marine life, but it seems as if we are the ones causing all of these issues. I thought that this article was really cool and I really liked it because it went into a lot of depth about how and where they rescued the walruses. I thought that the picture was really cute. (The picture at the top of the article.) I really agre with Shirell about this article making people smile, although in the begining I thought that this was a little bit sad. Overall this was bitter sweet.
It's simply amazing and inspiring how Mit can survive in America, especially for the fact of the large difference between New York and Alaska. After both the two original seals offspring passing away, I do hope that Mitik will live on for years on.
Also, to add on to my first comment, I would like to add about how I adore that the director of the aquarium, no matter how small a deed, evidently cared for Mit's travel, and instead of tranquilizing him and leaving the poor soul unknowingly stranded in cargo is truly caring, and I'm sure all of us appreciate it.
Wow! I thought this article was very interesting and exciting. It is great that these animals are being rescued. They are such amazing creatures, and are so important. As I was reading this article, I realized that, in general, I don’t know much about walruses. I hope to research this unique and fascinating species further.
My research produced a number of interesting facts about walruses. First, a walrus has a very unique and special appearance. It is light brown in color, has flippers, a large head, a rather short muzzle, little eyes, whiskers, and tusks. Their tusks can be used to defend themselves, cut ice, or get out of the ocean. Male walruses’ tusks can reach lengths over three-feet long, while females’ can measure at about two and one-half feet. In order to fuel themselves, walruses eat a variety of different species. Traditionally, their diet consists of clams, mussels, and other bottom dwelling animals.
According to scientists, there are two different types of walruses; the Atlantic Walrus and the Pacific Walrus. In total, the walrus population numbers at around 250,000. Pacific walruses make up the vast majority of the population, (approximately 200,00). Sadly, in the past, Pacific walruses were regularly hunted. Now, however, they are growing in population again.
Though they are both, of course, walruses, the two different types live in very different areas. The Pacific walrus inhabits countries such as Bering, Chukchi, and the Laptev Sea, while the Atlantic Walrus is mostly found near the coast in Canada and Greenland.
As the article mentioned, walruses are extremely social animals. They like having company, and often gather in large numbers. When it is not breeding season, male and female walruses gather in separate herds. They show their dominance through displays that involve aggressive behavior. Normally, the largest walrus exhibits the most aggression. For the most part, walruses spend lots of time in the ocean. In fact, they actually spend around two thirds of their lives in the water. Usually walruses move towards the north in the summer time, and towards the south in the winter. While these walruses migrate, however, some females go onto the ice in order to give birth. Walrus mating season is primarily between December and March. Usually only one calf is born to a mother at a time, but twins have happened before. Calves exhibit a sort of gray to brown color, and weigh around 99-165 pounds when just born. They grow quickly, and turn more of a red/brown color after a couple of weeks.
As I am sure you can see, these creature are incredibly unique and amazing animals. I think it is important that humans continue to help, study, and learn about them.
At the beginning of the article, the director had a quote that I think very noble and inspiring. That is a great thing to say in my opinion.
I thought this article was splendiferous, thank you Samantha. Its kind of inspiring also how Mit can adjust from the chilly waters of the ever so chilly Alaska, to the big city that is New York. Walruses play an important role in the marine ecosystem of today, so with that being said, I think it is great to learn tons about them. I would rate this article a 9.5 out of 10
I thought this article was interesting. It surprised me how the hunting ship didn't kill Mitik. I also found it strange that they were trying to get Kulu and Mitik to breed. One is 17 years old, and the other is 15 weeks old. Even if they waited for Mitik to grow up, it would still be a big age difference. I also found it sad but fascinated that a walrus will die if it is left alone. One of the polar bears at a zoo that I went to died, and the other bear was looking very sad and lying down doing nothing. People think of animals as not having feelings, but this article shows tat they do. Their feelings can even affect if they live or not. I think this is because if a few animals in captivity live together for a long time, they form a strong bond, and if one dies, the others lose the will to live, especially if they become all alone. It would be interesting to study the mechanism for this.
I was so touched by this article. The way that they were able to rescue Mitik and slowly nurse him back to normal, is amazing. I was interested in how he was found by a few people on a little boat in the ocean. What would happen if Matik had never been found and rescued? Would he have died? When he transitions from Alaska to America, will he have any problems with the weather, confinement, or food? I was so impressed by the way the director of the aquarium was concerned about the walrus' comfortableness instead of his own. His act of kindness makes me wish there were more people in the world that would put others first before themselves, and look at others' perspectives instead of making decisions to only benefit yourself.
I think that this article was very sad. Poor Mitik was orphaned at three months old. I think that it was a miracle that they were able to save two baby walruses.
I agree with will that it was a miracle that Mitik was found. I am also glad that Mitik can live with his own kind. Hopefully that will help him settle in. I am sad that Mitik's mother is dead, but at least Mitik is alive.
I also agree that this was a true miracle story. I think that it is great that he can be nursed back to health. The only problem is, how is he going to do socially? Are there any ways to to insure that the other walruses are not mean to him. Overall, this is a great story and I hope the best for Mitik.
Post a Comment