I find it interesting but not surprising that those who spend more time playing video games and other things are less focused. However, I feel that this is amplified on multiplayer and strategy games, for you are taking extra time to "plan"what you will do next, thus causing your mind to wander. I find the article to not be very specific, though. They never said how you lose alot of focus. I understand that you will lose some, but not enough to make a difference. I mean, sure your thinking about it, but that doesn't mean your obsessing over it all the time. thus meaning I think this is directed more at people who play 3 and a half or more hours a day.
I think that digital devices can really leave an imprint upon your studies and can affect the work you do negatively or positively, depending on the way that you choose to take advantage of your device. I agree with Goleman that its not multi-tasking when trying to study for a test and navigating a bunch of texts you got from your friends, but just "continuous partial attention." That is pretty much dividing your attention, on the several things you are doing, all at the same time, which makes the quality of your work in the many different areas a lot poorer than it would be if you were only doing that one thing! I also agree that the only way a student can drive his/her way to success is by focusing at the task at hand, and not dividing their attention on a few unimportant and distracting things such as checking emails, texts, voicemails, missed calls, and others included. I also found the study in Australia interesting because of the 32 year break the neuroscience professors gave the 1,000 children between the first and second tests in concentration. I think that in 32 years, their concentration spans and focuses must have changed and jumped tremendously. I agree that the amount of time you use your device can really impact your concentration, and when you really want to check your electronic device when working, think about it inside, when you've decided on the answer, just punch your gut, and say "no!"
The only way I can describe this article is to say that both Ms. Ujamaa and Dr. Shatz read it and based their career off of it. Just kidding, but I think that at a school like Mirman with such advanced computer-screen-watching-technology it would be hard to get of task and do something non-educational without getting caught. I respect the article because it brings up good points about multitasking and how it is fake. Of course the main point of the article was focus. I think it was a very interesting hypothesis that if children do not learn how to focus at a young age it will be a disadvantage for them in the future. Yet, I disagree with Liza. I think it is okay to be texting and doing homework. What you have to do is pause what you are doing weather it is reading or math and text the other person back. I think that violence toward yourself is not a good way to solve a multi-tasking issue.
I found this article very interesting. I agree that students need to focus more and that technology can be distracting to students. For example, I think standardized tests should be taken on paper and not on a computer because I feel and I think many other people feel that it is more distracting on the computer. When I take a test on paper, I don't think anything can go wrong, but on a computer the internet can go down or anything else. Also, on a lot of websites there are ads. I think ads can be distracting because some are bright and colorful and can attacked people in by those things. In conclusion, technology is a gift if we use it to our benefit and it can really help science.
I found this article unsuprising and intersting. The fact that many children while doing work are texting, maybe listening to music, or even playing video games. This will stop your ability to work efficently on a task. Therefore taking about twice the time. But if you are someone who has that time to spare, then why not do it. Of course, most of us kids at Mirman don't, between are homework, sports, and instruments. I think that this inablity to focus only ruins the efficiency is because, as this article suggests, multi-tasking makes you switch between focusing on two different tasks. So it will take twice as long.
This was a really interesting article. I think that technology is definitely a distraction to children because it seems to have no limits because of the internet and the variety of games. I think that it is because of this that we just can't stop and we have to return back to whatever is distracting us. However, I don't think that technology is the only problem. I'm not sure if we are just forgetting how to focus because technology taught us how, or if humans just have a hard time focusing in general and technology is just another way for our mind to wander. A good book or movie might also become addictive. I don't quite agree with Clyde about stopping to text people back when you are doing you homework. The article pointed out that pausing your homework to do something minor is what leads us to stop focusing. I do, however, agree with Sara about ads being very distracting. For me, anyway, it is hard to stare at a screen that has something bright and colorful right beside it and not read it. I definitely agree with Goleman's perspective on multi-tasking. If you are doing something enjoyable it is really difficult to say no to distractions. An article from the huffington post stated four ways to focus better. These four were exercise, drinking water, sleep, and wiggling your toes. I thought these tips were okay just as long as you don't sleep or exercise in the middle of your homework. If you are wondering why they said wiggling your toes, they thought that such an action would bring you to the present and make you mindful of yourself again. In the end, this was a very good article; it was super-informative and as a person in this world of technology and distractions, it interests me a lot.
I agree with this. When I work on paper I am much less distracted than when I work on a computer. I think this is because you can go to different websites and there are a whole lot more ways to stray off task. On paper, however, all that is there is the assignment. A generation ago, kids only had pencil and paper, but now that we have computers it is much harder to focus. Kids these days should learn how to focus better. I like doing my work on a computer because I can type and If i need to look something up I have many sources right there. I feel like I am gradually developing the ability to ignore distractions and concentrate better. Also, when I am interested in something it is easier to concentrate on.
I think it's interesting what the article is saying about how digital devices can be distracting for students, especially since here at Mirman most of the curriculum involves our laptops. It would be very easy to lose focus here because of the computers that are at our mercy, and with this computer comes a world of applications, websites, etc. I agree that as it was mentioned in the last paragraph, it's not the devices that are the enemy, but the way we use them. If students cut down on the games and did more of the things that the laptops were given to us for, then our focus would improve. Another more minor point in the article was multitasking. It points out that continuous partial attention (brain switches back and forth between tasks). However, even though I know this example does not match the exact meaning of the word, you are technically multitasking almost every second of your life. For example, right now I am sitting, typing, breathing, and using my brain for all of these things. Overall, this article has proven itself interesting, useful, and applying to our daily lives. I give the article 10 out of 10 stars.
This was a great article! It is entirely true about the fact that being focused is often an ignored trait. I also was reading the article and thought it was amazing that the pre-frontal cortex can control focus, emotions, and feelings of empathy for others. And, I was also interested in the fact that our distraction now can lead to problems with our feelings and empathy later. It just makes me realize how important this time as kids is. However, I disagree with Lilah's comment, because while it is multitasking, I don't think it is quite what the article means to say. This is because it does not distract you to breath. If we tried to do something without breathing, we would die. However, I think this is a great article that I will definitely keep in mind when I'm doing my work.
This article mainly focuses on focusing. It is common to hear in the classroom that we need to focus on our work. I agree with the article on that. I agree with Dr. Goleman on that fact that multitasking is not a good idea because you are only partially doing everything, not doing everything as best as you can. I do think that digital devices and technology is distracting (not if you are working on them, though you could get sidetracked and distracted). I agree with Sara that ads can be distracting, especially if they are bright or animated. I could easily get distracted by an ad and want to read it and be tempted to click on it. When working on a computer, I think that you could get especially distracted if you go online to research something but then find an cool ad and want to look at it. I read that meditating can help you focus, if you do it every day. For example you can meditate to clear all your thoughts of distractions and help focus on the one thing you need to do. Lastly, I do agree with this article in that we shouldn't just shut down all the electronic devices when working, because it is not our enemy. I really like using my computer to work on things because I can easily research things and find out more about a concept or I can look up words that I don't understand. Overall, I agree with this article.
I thought this article was very interesting. It does make sense, though, that, with the distraction of new and exciting technology, children are starting to have focus problems. After reading this article, I formulated a few questions. First, I was wondering if a child’s focus ability depends on his age. For instance, does a child age nine have a harder time focusing than a child age twelve? I would assume that younger children would have a harder time focusing than older children, but maybe not, as older children might have more distractions involving technology. My second question was if there was a difference between how girls and boys focus? Are boys able to focus better than girls, even with the distraction of new technology, or is it the other way around? However, even though I have a few questions, I thought this article was very interesting, and very well written. I really enjoyed reading it.
11 comments:
I find it interesting but not surprising that those who spend more time playing video games and other things are less focused. However, I feel that this is amplified on multiplayer and strategy games, for you are taking extra time to "plan"what you will do next, thus causing your mind to wander. I find the article to not be very specific, though. They never said how you lose alot of focus. I understand that you will lose some, but not enough to make a difference. I mean, sure your thinking about it, but that doesn't mean your obsessing over it all the time. thus meaning I think this is directed more at people who play 3 and a half or more hours a day.
I think that digital devices can really leave an imprint upon your studies and can affect the work you do negatively or positively, depending on the way that you choose to take advantage of your device. I agree with Goleman that its not multi-tasking when trying to study for a test and navigating a bunch of texts you got from your friends, but just "continuous partial attention." That is pretty much dividing your attention, on the several things you are doing, all at the same time, which makes the quality of your work in the many different areas a lot poorer than it would be if you were only doing that one thing! I also agree that the only way a student can drive his/her way to success is by focusing at the task at hand, and not dividing their attention on a few unimportant and distracting things such as checking emails, texts, voicemails, missed calls, and others included. I also found the study in Australia interesting because of the 32 year break the neuroscience professors gave the 1,000 children between the first and second tests in concentration. I think that in 32 years, their concentration spans and focuses must have changed and jumped tremendously. I agree that the amount of time you use your device can really impact your concentration, and when you really want to check your electronic device when working, think about it inside, when you've decided on the answer, just punch your gut, and say "no!"
The only way I can describe this article is to say that both Ms. Ujamaa and Dr. Shatz read it and based their career off of it. Just kidding, but I think that at a school like Mirman with such advanced computer-screen-watching-technology it would be hard to get of task and do something non-educational without getting caught. I respect the article because it brings up good points about multitasking and how it is fake. Of course the main point of the article was focus. I think it was a very interesting hypothesis that if children do not learn how to focus at a young age it will be a disadvantage for them in the future. Yet, I disagree with Liza. I think it is okay to be texting and doing homework. What you have to do is pause what you are doing weather it is reading or math and text the other person back. I think that violence toward yourself is not a good way to solve a multi-tasking issue.
I found this article very interesting. I agree that students need to focus more and that technology can be distracting to students. For example, I think standardized tests should be taken on paper and not on a computer because I feel and I think many other people feel that it is more distracting on the computer. When I take a test on paper, I don't think anything can go wrong, but on a computer the internet can go down or anything else. Also, on a lot of websites there are ads. I think ads can be distracting because some are bright and colorful and can attacked people in by those things. In conclusion, technology is a gift if we use it to our benefit and it can really help science.
I found this article unsuprising and intersting. The fact that many children while doing work are texting, maybe listening to music, or even playing video games. This will stop your ability to work efficently on a task. Therefore taking about twice the time. But if you are someone who has that time to spare, then why not do it. Of course, most of us kids at Mirman don't, between are homework, sports, and instruments. I think that this inablity to focus only ruins the efficiency is because, as this article suggests, multi-tasking makes you switch between focusing on two different tasks. So it will take twice as long.
This was a really interesting article. I think that technology is definitely a distraction to children because it seems to have no limits because of the internet and the variety of games. I think that it is because of this that we just can't stop and we have to return back to whatever is distracting us. However, I don't think that technology is the only problem. I'm not sure if we are just forgetting how to focus because technology taught us how, or if humans just have a hard time focusing in general and technology is just another way for our mind to wander. A good book or movie might also become addictive. I don't quite agree with Clyde about stopping to text people back when you are doing you homework. The article pointed out that pausing your homework to do something minor is what leads us to stop focusing. I do, however, agree with Sara about ads being very distracting. For me, anyway, it is hard to stare at a screen that has something bright and colorful right beside it and not read it. I definitely agree with Goleman's perspective on multi-tasking. If you are doing something enjoyable it is really difficult to say no to distractions. An article from the huffington post stated four ways to focus better. These four were exercise, drinking water, sleep, and wiggling your toes. I thought these tips were okay just as long as you don't sleep or exercise in the middle of your homework. If you are wondering why they said wiggling your toes, they thought that such an action would bring you to the present and make you mindful of yourself again. In the end, this was a very good article; it was super-informative and as a person in this world of technology and distractions, it interests me a lot.
I agree with this. When I work on paper I am much less distracted than when I work on a computer. I think this is because you can go to different websites and there are a whole lot more ways to stray off task. On paper, however, all that is there is the assignment. A generation ago, kids only had pencil and paper, but now that we have computers it is much harder to focus. Kids these days should learn how to focus better. I like doing my work on a computer because I can type and If i need to look something up I have many sources right there. I feel like I am gradually developing the ability to ignore distractions and concentrate better. Also, when I am interested in something it is easier to concentrate on.
I think it's interesting what the article is saying about how digital devices can be distracting for students, especially since here at Mirman most of the curriculum involves our laptops. It would be very easy to lose focus here because of the computers that are at our mercy, and with this computer comes a world of applications, websites, etc. I agree that as it was mentioned in the last paragraph, it's not the devices that are the enemy, but the way we use them. If students cut down on the games and did more of the things that the laptops were given to us for, then our focus would improve.
Another more minor point in the article was multitasking. It points out that continuous partial attention (brain switches back and forth between tasks). However, even though I know this example does not match the exact meaning of the word, you are technically multitasking almost every second of your life. For example, right now I am sitting, typing, breathing, and using my brain for all of these things.
Overall, this article has proven itself interesting, useful, and applying to our daily lives. I give the article 10 out of 10 stars.
This was a great article! It is entirely true about the fact that being focused is often an ignored trait. I also was reading the article and thought it was amazing that the pre-frontal cortex can control focus, emotions, and feelings of empathy for others. And, I was also interested in the fact that our distraction now can lead to problems with our feelings and empathy later. It just makes me realize how important this time as kids is. However, I disagree with Lilah's comment, because while it is multitasking, I don't think it is quite what the article means to say. This is because it does not distract you to breath. If we tried to do something without breathing, we would die. However, I think this is a great article that I will definitely keep in mind when I'm doing my work.
This article mainly focuses on focusing. It is common to hear in the classroom that we need to focus on our work. I agree with the article on that. I agree with Dr. Goleman on that fact that multitasking is not a good idea because you are only partially doing everything, not doing everything as best as you can.
I do think that digital devices and technology is distracting (not if you are working on them, though you could get sidetracked and distracted). I agree with Sara that ads can be distracting, especially if they are bright or animated. I could easily get distracted by an ad and want to read it and be tempted to click on it. When working on a computer, I think that you could get especially distracted if you go online to research something but then find an cool ad and want to look at it. I read that meditating can help you focus, if you do it every day. For example you can meditate to clear all your thoughts of distractions and help focus on the one thing you need to do. Lastly, I do agree with this article in that we shouldn't just shut down all the electronic devices when working, because it is not our enemy. I really like using my computer to work on things because I can easily research things and find out more about a concept or I can look up words that I don't understand. Overall, I agree with this article.
I thought this article was very interesting. It does make sense, though, that, with the distraction of new and exciting technology, children are starting to have focus problems. After reading this article, I formulated a few questions. First, I was wondering if a child’s focus ability depends on his age. For instance, does a child age nine have a harder time focusing than a child age twelve? I would assume that younger children would have a harder time focusing than older children, but maybe not, as older children might have more distractions involving technology. My second question was if there was a difference between how girls and boys focus? Are boys able to focus better than girls, even with the distraction of new technology, or is it the other way around? However, even though I have a few questions, I thought this article was very interesting, and very well written. I really enjoyed reading it.
Post a Comment