Friday, January 10, 2014

New Species of Tapir Found in the Amazon

Brought to you by Yvette


A newly described species of tapir, Tapirus kabomani, was hiding in plain sight in the Amazon. Local people, who have long known that the animal exists, helped researchers identify the new species in camera trap photos like this one.

11 comments:

Erica said...

I think that this was a really good article because it explained what has been going on, and what is going on now. I think that it isn't fair that Roosevelt hunted this type of tapir. I wouldn't even be fair for him to hunt any kind of animal. But, even though Roosevelt killed these animals, I think that it actually was a good thing. If he wouldn't have killed the tapir, then the tapir skull and skin wouldn't be in the museum, and then we wouldn't know that it would be there. Then, we might not have really studied the new kind of tapir! I also think that we should have communicated with the other people of South America. I think that to find out more about other species, we could communicate with the whole world to find out about what kind of animals they have. Not only that, even if no one in the whole world knows about an animal, we could look at the environment of the country and find new species. I would rate this article a 10 out of 10 because of all the ideas the article had, and the ideas it gave me.

Sam said...

I think it's cool that we found a new type of taper, but I think that the taper itself is more interesting. If tapers are so mysterious, then why aren't scientists attaching cameras to them, I mean, come on, if we have never seen tapir babies, that that could mean basically anything. I hate it when theirs a mystery to be discovered, but everyone is to lazy to look into it. Now I will move on to this individual taper. I'm shocked that scientists didn't instantly see it was different, I mean, if its so much smaller then the other then how is it so hard to spot the difference? Anyway, that's all I got to say.

Alec said...

I thought the article was interesting. I don't blame Roosevelt at all for this discovery. He's a huntsman and there is nothing you can do about it. Although I find it interesting that something a president killed can be in a renowned museum and that thing the first in it's species to be identified. After the description of a tapir, I would not want to see it in person. I just can't imagine a huge pig with and elongated snout. This is what I thought about the article.

Sophia said...

It's really amazing that we have found a new species, especially because there are only 5 other species of tapirs in the world. It worries me that this species is living in the middle of the Amazon where a lot of human activity is. But because natives have said that seeing the Tapirus kabomani in regions of South America is not rare, I think that if we just work on minimizing the number of human activity, this species will live. Also, since a new species of cats have been found in the amazon, we have to be careful that other species don't go extinct. This is only another reason why we should keep on working to preserve this delicate ecosystem and all its creatures.

Ally O. said...

This was a really cool article because it taught me so much about a species I didn't know much about. If anyone else read the last little paragraph it says that there was a new cat species to be discovered. I really liked learning about how there is so much more to explore in the amazon jungle. I thought that this article was very intriguing because we still have so much more to explore in the amazon rainforest. I did not know that this animal existed, so it was really cool to learn about this. I look forward to learning more. This was a small new species of the tapir, and maybe if the species is rare, we can learn more about it. Overall, I give this article a really good review.

Will said...

I find it interesting that President Theodore Roosevelt had captured and shot a new species of tapir yet no one believed the local hunters, who said that it was a special individual. Not even the government scientists, who inspected the dead tapir, agreed with the locals. Eventually, the tapir was discovered to be a new species, just like the local hunters said. Its species was then named Tapirus kabomani. This species is actually the smallest of all tapirs, only weighing around 245 pounds. Due to the recent discovery of a new cat in the Amazon and the discovery of the Tapirus kabomani, it seems that the earth never fails to amaze us.

Angela said...

I think that this was an intriguing article, though I do wish that the earlier scientists had believed the locals (who have probably spotted this animal many times) and investigated so that this article could be so much richer in information. I wonder exactly how long the locals had known about this species and when it was first spotted. This was a good article, but I think it could have had a bit more on how the tapirs live. I also enjoyed the part about their snouts being prehensile because we learned about prehensile tails in anthropology, and as I didn't look the word up before, I didn't know that it could be applied to anything capable of grasping. I also read a couple of articles that said that this was the only new species discovered from the order Perissodactya(tapirs, rhinos, horses) for over a hundred years, which is pretty cool. It is depressing to think that this animal, one that we yet have so much to discover about it, is most likely endangered along with the other species of tapir. After all, many of this type of tapir were probably hunted or had their habitats destroyed. I think that the scientists should not only learn more about this species, but also find a way to save it. After all, every species benefits the world in some way. One article I read stated that tapirs help disperse seeds and build healthy soils. I hope that this experience with the tapir leads us investigate the new species of cat carefully and associate more with the local hunters and people living close to the areas that have more to offer us.

Yvette said...

It is amazing that there are always new species of animals hidden, waiting to be discovered. Since there are so many different species of animals in the Amazon, in order to keep discovering them we need to protect the rainforest. Its fascinating that the local people already knew about the different species and knew that this was a rare one. This indicates that science still has a lot to learn from Nature. This emphasizes the importance of protecting entire ecosystems not because we know that they hold important things, but because of all the things we don't know. One thing that is scary, is all the species that we will never know or learn about because of habitat loss. That habitat of these animals may of been more than just their home, there may have been rare plants and animals that would have benefited us, but now are lost because of the habitat destruction.

Katarina said...

I found this article interesting. Firstly, I found that the physical description itself of the tapir was amazing. It has a nose that can grab things. I think that it is sad that we don't know much about this new species and it is already endangered. There is still so much that we don't know about it yet. For example, we don't even know what the babies look like or about what size it is. The tapirs in general are endangered because of hunting and deforestation. It is strange that the locals knew about this and didn't realize that this was a new species. I agree with Erica that it is not fair that he hunted this animal, but then it wouldn't have ended up in a museum so that we could study and learn more about it. There are still many places to find and more species to discover.

Hudson said...

I find this discovery very interesting. It also gives you a little bit of a history lesson. Roosevelt did hunt these tapir, but if he didn't, then we would have a smaller chance of discovering a new species. Tapir are very cool creatures. Except for it makes me have a wierd feeling that their just running for their lives. In the article it said they are being hunted and habitats are being destroyed. But this was an amazing new discovery. Just when we thought they were extinced, we thought wrong.

Diba A. said...

WOW! The fact of another animal being discovered is incredible! If a new kind of Tapir is discovered imagine if we could find more of a species that is endangered or maybe a couple more of extinct animals. Not many tapirs look like this. I feel that they are slightly smaller.