Monday, January 27, 2014

Suzanne Lee: Grow Your Own Clothes - Video on TED.com


Designer Suzanne Lee is developing a kombucha-based material that can be used in clothes and footwear.
http://74fdc.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/biocouture-grow-your-own-clothes/

17 comments:

Clyde C. said...

This Ted talk brings up opposing responses in my mind. On one hand, this way of living could mean a cleaner planet and a healthier planet. If I recall correctly, she was talking about how this could eventually evolve into replacement for bones. From this point of view, it is a discovery worth lots of research.

Clyde C. said...

On the other hand, this discovery isn't going anywhere. It is just a hippie who had nothing to do on a weekend. The discovery is interesting, but unrealistic in that she makes it more simple than it is. She was implying that it could be done at home. This is true but, most people don't just happen to own drying racks, clothing molds, and enough skill to make their own clothes literally from scratch. Although, the fact that the bacteria are doing the most work is helpful...

Rachel said...

I think a "hippy who had nothing to do on a weekend" is going a little too far. I think that it is really interesting that you can make clothes out of microorganisms. She made cloths literally out of scratch, and she made it out of living organisms. I never new that Bacteria could be used for making clothes. I think that it is amazing that someone can just have the idea to make clothes out of bacteria. I just wonder if the bacteria are still living when you put the clothes on.

Lilah said...

This is very interesting. The fact that you can make clothing out of green tea and microbes astonishes me. Especially the fact that use it to make real clothes - I didn't notice that Suzanne's vest was made of the organic fabric until about halfway through the video, when we were starting to see what the fabric looked like. I disagree with Clyde, because she didn't seem to be implying that it could be done at home; all she was saying was that this could be an easier and greener way to make clothes.
Another interesting point was that this was done by fermentation. I mean, compare: Clothing and yogurt. Not much in common, right? When I found out they were both made by fermentation I was surprised.
This video was interesting and it relates to what we are currently studying. I give it 9 out of 10 stars.

Jacob G. said...

This video was very cool. Suzanne mentioned that the clothes were grown based off of a combucha (spell check?) recipe, which we just learned about and is really cool. I agree with Lilah because it is cool that yogurt and clothing do have something in common, fermentation. This could be a ground breaking discovery, and I would encourage somebody to find a way to make it water proof.

Will said...

I think that this could turn out to be a revolutionary discovery. I mean, making tea into clothes could save a lot of time spent making leather and cloth. I agree with Clyde that this might be hard to do at home. This could be really useful in the future. Also, this could be used for other things, like an umbrella that absorbs the water falling on you. In conclusion, kombucha-based clothes may eventually become common.

Bianca said...

This Ted talk was really interesting. I never knew that bacteria and the fermentation process can make it possible for you to make clothes from scratch. And this discovery is great because we won't have to hurt the animals or anything else that's not good for the enviroment. I thought that it was really cool that bacteria can do amazing things like that. When I first looked at the title, I thought oh this is going to be weird, but instead I was really facinated. And like Clyde said, not everyone has drying racks, clothing molds, and other supplies so it is a bit challenging. But I still really liked the idea of a clothing designer teaching others how to make clothes at home in a unique way.

Jake F. said...

Since we recently learned a lot about bacteria, I knew some of the things that Suzanne was explaining in the beginning, but she is definitely taking this idea to a whole new level. If she can fix the few problems that she is having with it, she is golden. Once mass-produced, this will be a very helpful in the clothing industry because there are too many bacteria on the planet to count them, so people will be able to make more clothes and supply them to the people that need them. It would also be really cool to be wearing something made out of bacteria, which is a living organism. It is also really nice that you can have the clothes be individually fit to your exact size if you wanted to. I hope that Suzanne Lee can fix the kinks in these clothes and get them out there for people to use daily.

Yvette said...

When I first think of microbes and bacteria, I think of disease or cultured food products. One thing that I wouldn't think of doing with microbes is designing and manufacturing new clothes. One designer, whose name is Suzanne Lee, has come up with a way to make this work. She has figured out a way to use fermentation to manufacture sheets of microbial cellulose that can be molded or sewn into everything from a shirt to a pair of shoes. At school, we learned about the process of fermentation and what it does. It is basically the process of converting a sugar (carbohydrate) to an acid or alcohol. Bacteria makes acids (such as lactic acid) and yeast make an alcohol. But who would think that these elements and this process could make a whole host of other items? The more that we are able to use these bacteria and microbes to create organic clothing and other items, the less we will have to use the world's natural resources. Of course, people will need some convincing to wear this material. When I first looked at it, I thought it looked too much like human skin, and it was not hydrophobic or water resistant. In fact, it is much worse. This clothing is hydrophilic (water absorbant), so if you sweat while wearing it, the bonds between the molecules start to break and your shirt will start to disintegrate. One thing that needs to be discovered is a way to keep this material intact and impermeable to water. While looking on the internet, I found a possible solution to this problem, superhydrophobic coating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhydrophobic_coating#Industrial_uses It is already in existence and used for medical purposes such as coating surgical tools. This can also be found in nature, as it is all over the lotus leaf and some insects' wings. Another problem that we have to test is whether or not this coating is compatible with the clothing. But for now, we'll just have to keep going to the mall.

Rachel said...

lilah. just a question why 9 out of ten

Diba A. said...

This video is so interesting because I love to make things. From lipsticks...to candles; as I recall Ms. Ghazarian calling me " A mini Martha Stewart of Mirman". Since I love to make things this was especially astonishing because, who knew you could make clothing using fermentation! I did not know that you could make clothing from scratch. I agree with Clyde when he says that the speaker was making the process a lot more simple than it really is, and that not many people have random clothing mold at hand. If green tea and microbes can make a jacket, image what people will do with actual fabric.

Christina said...

This is a great video. This technology could be really useful if the problems are worked out. As Yvette mentioned earlier, there is already technology that might be able to help. Also, it would be amazing to make your own clothes using bacteria. This technology is also great for the environment. Cows and other animals are not killed for leather with this technology. (Also, in the future, cows probably won’t be butchered as much for meat either, because of lab-grown meat and vegetarian meat, so cows will be totally safe). There are not emission rates with this technology because you are just boiling tea, adding sugar, adding microbes, and letting the mixture sit and then leaving it to evaporate, which involves little or no emission rates, which is very exciting. The process also doesn’t require much energy. However, the reason that I have problems with these clothes is economical. There are several countries and people that are mainly in the textile industry. Many people can grow clothes, but not as many are willing to butcher a cow. Chances are that many people will lose jobs, and many countries will be financially hurt. I also have a few questions about this article. How is the bacteria put into the mixture? The video didn’t really explain this step much. When we made yogurt in class, we just put a spoonful of yogurt into the mixture because you can’t buy microbes. However, she probably doesn’t plop yogurt into the mixture, so what does she do?

Benjamin Z. said...

This article allowed me to truly see the process of bacteria. Who knew that bacteria could kill people within weeks, but could also manufacture clothes that could make the world a better place. The word fermentations was brought up multiple times, and I found it extremely convenient that we had just done and article about how fermentation works. Like Lilah said, you wouldn't really see a relationship between yogurt, alcohol, or clothing. Despite these fact, I do feel that the article quite honestly underdeveloped. Like some people said, how is it possible to make these at home? You need special materials, incubators, temperature regulators, and more, which can definitely be a hassle to get you hands on, especially if her idea works and everyone begins to do it. Also, who wants to wait weeks for a medium sized piece of clothing to wear? First, I bet the vest she was wearing took a week and a half to make. Second, I am almost sure that it is uncomfortable, making it a complete waste to wait so long. Conclusively, people may do their best to change the world with these ideas, but it may not work the way they want it to, especially if they haven't planned it out. Cotton and fabric, they are actually comfortable, plus, they look good too. I might give this article a 6 out of 10, and most of those points are because of the fact that it mentioned bacteria several times, which related to our previous/current unit.

Benjamin Z. said...

To answer Christina's question:

Another way to make the yogurt is to culture the bacteria, which is what the Bulgarians did. What she probably did was culture the live bacteria, not just "plop" them in.

Anastasia said...

Cool. I really learned something new. I remember Ms. Thomas talking about it in class. I am really surprised that you could just do it at home. Then again, you could but I really don't think anybody is actually going to. But it was still very interesting. When I think about this subject deeper, to be honest I would not feel very comfortable wearing that type of jacket. Imagine if you were wearing that kind of jacket and your friend said, "Wow I really like your jacket where did you get it" you would answer, "Oh! this is an original jacket. I made it at home out of old bacteria." How would you feel saying that? Plus, the fact that it is NOT hydrophobic is really sad. Because like Suzanne said, if you sweat it is going to fall apart. Lets not even talk about wearing that kind of dress in the rain. Even after all this, I still think that if scientists work on this a little harder, something good can come out of it. A give this video an A-.

Alec T. said...

I found it amazing that using some tea, sugar, a few microbes, and some time can make clothes. Even though this is great it needs to be improved a lot. The biggest setback is the fact that it is hydrophylic, so if you were to walk out with it in the rain you would get wet, heavy, and the jacket would fall off. Also, as Anastasia said, I would not be all to comfortable with wearing a jacket made out of Green tea, sugar, and microbes. I think that if this concept is improved a bit it would be great for everyday wear, and formal attire as well.

Alec T. said...

I found it amazing that using some tea, sugar, a few microbes, and some time can make clothes. Even though this is great it needs to be improved a lot. The biggest setback is the fact that it is hydrophylic, so if you were to walk out with it in the rain you would get wet, heavy, and the jacket would fall off. Also, as Anastasia said, I would not be all to comfortable with wearing a jacket made out of Green tea, sugar, and microbes. I think that if this concept is improved a bit it would be great for everyday wear, and formal attire as well.