Friday, January 10, 2014

Dogs Poop Along North-South Magnetic Lines

Brought to you by Emmie


October 2004 in Turlock, California at the Nunes Agility Field. 
Originally uploaded to the English wikipedia.

30 comments:

Abby said...

Having a dog myself I thought that this was a very interesting article. The first thing that came to my mind, was that something as simple as the way dogs prefer to poop can relate back to north-south axis of the Earth's magnetic field. While reading this article I came across true north and magnetic north. I didn't know what the difference was so I looked it up. This is what I found. True north is the direction along the earth's surface towards the geographic North Pole. The North Magnetic Pole is the point on the surface of Earth's Northern Hemisphere at which the planet's magnetic field points vertically downwards. There are also some questions the came to mind. How is this useful? Why study dogs instead of any other animal? Why was this something that needed to be researched?

Ally Oh said...

I thought that this article was very interesting because I thought that dogs just went wherever. These scientists pay extreme attention to find really cool find really cool things like this. I have a dog so it will be really interesting to see it it applies for all dogs. When I was reading this, I thought, How this i useful, why we should learn about it, and what make the dogs poop in this direction. It was very interesting to learn about, but my dog has never really done this. I think that he just goes wherever, but it was very cool to know that out of 70 dogs, most of them went in the direction of the North Magnetic Pole. I really liked reading about this, and will want to learn more.

Greta said...

Since I have a dog I found this article very intriguing. But the article was pretty vague and I feel that I have more questions then answers. Why do the dos do this? Is it something that they have been doing for a while or is something that just popped up? I think that maybe the reason why it is magnetic North and not true North may help the scientists find an answer. Overall I give this article a 7 out of 10.

Clyde C. said...

To me, this "discovery" is not one of value at all. It could easily be a coincidence because don't dogs like urinating in the same place that other dogs have urinated? So if one dog happens to poop or urinate on this axis, it is not at all surprising that many more dogs do the same. I also feel bad for the researchers behind this for a few reasons. They are probably thinking,"Wow. I spent $100,000 dollars a year at Harvard to research about where dogs poop."

Kayla said...

I thought that this article was very interesting because I have a dog and have not noticed this behavior from her. I wonder why they do this. Does it help them with something? Is it useful to their health?
I wonder why scientists studied this? Does this help the owners know what direction they are going with? Did it tell the pack were they were going?

Kristin said...

I don't have a dog, but I have always known a lot about them. This is something I never knew about them! I never knew that dogs would have a preference to where they "went." In the article it says that only females have a preference to where they "go". I was not surprised that the females have more of a preference since we are the more perfection driven gender. I really loved this article and I thank Emmie for putting it on the blog!

Jonas said...

The thing is about this article, I find it so random, like how did they find that out??? Still a very interesting article. I can't believe that they spent time watching thousands of thousands of urinations and defecations. I am still a bit confused about what they mean by saying north-south direction. Can someone please explain that? EDIT: Okay now I get what it means, no need for explanation actually. I've actually heard this before, but with goats, I think it might just be because of the animal's alignment with the tectonic plates. I rate this a 7.3 out of 10

Jonas said...

The thing is about this article, I find it so random, like how did they find that out??? Still a very interesting article. I can't believe that they spent time watching thousands of thousands of urinations and defecations. I am still a bit confused about what they mean by saying north-south direction. Can someone please explain that? EDIT: Okay now I get what it means, no need for explanation actually. I've actually heard this before, but with goats, I think it might just be because of the animal's alignment with the tectonic plates. I rate this a 7.3 out of 10

Jonas said...

sorry for posting twice, happens all the time to me

Rachel Brown said...

Wow. I wonder why dogs like to poop facing north. I wonder how their thought process works. I mean, why would dogs want to poop north, rather than south. To answer one of Abby's questions, how is this useful. the answer is I have no idea. I agree completely with what abby said except that I don't have a dog so I can't exactly relate to this article. Another question that I have is do females also want to face the same way as males. Do different types of dogs think differently?

Jaesan said...

I have no dog, but I still think that this article is still interesting. It is interesting, because I know dogs pee and poop, but I had no idea that they do that facing north or south.

Tyra said...

This article was cool, but slightly strange at the same time. Since it was very vague, I did some research about it, and found that it only occurs when dogs are off leash. I also found that many other animals seem to sense the earth's magnetic field while grazing, migrating, and other actions. I do wonder why the researchers care so much which way dogs face while doing their business. I guess that the idea that they might be able to sense the magnetic field is kind of cool, but still, it's a wierd thing to research.

Mogan said...

I found this article to be very weird and yet at the same time interesting. Having a dog my self I saw that he always pooped in one place and faced the same way. However at the time, I thought nothing of it. Who suddenly has the idea to reaserch on where dogs poop???? I wonder if other animals do the same thing as dogs? I have horses and my pony just poops wherver she wants to. (usually while i am tacking her us so that I have to clean it up) However, I wonder if dog-like animals (foxes or wolfs) poop on earth's north south magnetic axis.

Alec said...

I liked this article because I would have never guessed this by people asking me, "Where do you think dogs like to poop the most? The North? The South? The Middle?" But this article was very open ended. I think the author could have expanded on this topic a little more. I also think that these researchers could have spent they're time on something wiser, such as the study of dogs perception of color. This is what I thought of the article.

Emily said...

Because I have a dog this article was very interesting. I never new that dogs poop on the North-South Magnetic Lines. The thing is, this article did not have clear answers. They did not really explain how the dogs knew they were pooping on North-South Magnetic Lines or why the dogs did not face east and west. This article was interesting, but not very clear.

Emily said...

I did a little research on dogs pooping on North-South Magnetic Lines. Her is a link that may help some people who did not understand this article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/03/259416979/everyone-poops-but-dogs-do-it-with-magnetism

Will said...

I find it very strange that dogs poop always facing either north or south. This article was very descriptive in that it explained that females always urinate in one definite direction, while males switch back and forth between north and south. It also explained that the dogs do their business on the geomagnetic lines, which define true north instead of magnetic north. Thirdly, it elaborated on how the males lift up their legs while urinating while the females lower their hips in a position similar to pooing. In conclusion, I found this article descriptive but not very interesting.

Emmie said...

I love this article. The reason I chose it to post was because I thought it was so interesting how dogs choose to do there business in such a specific direction. After reading this article, I actually observed that my dog was exhibiting this behavior herself. She always went on the north/south axis. The one time that this was inconsistent was right after an earthquake. This makes sense because after an earthquake, even if it is just small, the magnetic fields could be altered a little bit. This article also explains why dogs turn around themselves a few times before doing their thing. They are probably trying to find the right axis. On a different note, I also find it interesting that mostly female dogs prefer this direction. Why not males? Overall, I loved how this article pointed out a simple detail that not many people know. After hearing this, I immediately said, "Oh my gosh! Daisy does do that!"

Sara said...

I think this article was really cool. I did't know that dogs prefer to poop to the north-south magnetic lines of the Earth. I think it is a little weird that scientist spend their time watch dogs to see some habits like how they poop. I wonder how dogs know where the north-south axis is and I think it is amazing that they can figure that out without even trying

Jake F. said...

I found that this article was very interesting. I'm surprised that dogs prefer to poop facing to the north or south. I have two dogs myself, and have never really thought about it. I might watch them for a few days to see if this theory is right.
Although the concept is interesting, I think that it was very repetitive, short, and did not give us enough information.
+Clyde C. does have a point. Maybe the dogs followed each other and went to the bathroom in similar ways. And how can 70 dogs be nearly enough to do a full study? They should have watched at least 115 dogs in different cities.
In conclusion, this article was interesting but needed to supply more information to viewers.

Alec T said...

It is strange that dogs and a few other animals prefer to urinate and defecate facing north or south on the magnetic field. 70 dogs exhibiting the same behavior probably is enough to determine that they really do follow these habits, but then again there is the possibility this is just coincidence, as Jake F said, the dogs may have just followed each other to go to the restroom in similar ways. I still found fascinating that pigeons are equipped with microscopic balls of iron in their ears making them sensitive to the magnetic field. I believe that if this is true many other animals may also exhibit this habit, and like the article said I wonder if they do this intentionally for some reason or if it is more comfortable than other positions. Also, I would like to know how they can sense the magnetic field.

Amaan said...

I found it intriguing that dogs prefer to poop while aligned with either the north or south axis. At first I was thinking to my self, who would have thought to compare the direction that an animal poops, to it geomagnitic placement at the time. Also, only females preffered to be facing the north-south direction while urinating. Next, it was cool that herds of cattle, and some types of deer preferred to graze while facing either the north or south direction. The wind direction, or time of day didn't matter. Then I see that birds use tiny balls of iron in there ears, to migrate thousands of miles. But most interesting humans might possese a similar ability.

Maddie W. said...

I think that this article was very interesting. I found it very weird that dogs prefere to poop at the north-south direction. Is this why dogs sniff before the poop on walks? Is it why they poop on one side of a tree and not the other? The article did not answer any of these questions. Something else that I would want to know is, why? Why do dogs do this? This is something that I would like to research more. Overall I give this article a 7.

Alexis said...

I really enjoyed reading this article, but it lacked facts to support it. Just like many of the others said, It could've used more details and information. I would've been fine with that if there was not much knowledge about the direction dogs poop, but there is actually more information on the internet. I found that depending on how stable the magnetic field is, that determines how many dogs will urinate or defecate that day. Many thought that the sun had some role in this, but that cannot be an option because dogs were studied at different times of the day and season. I wanted to observe my dog to see if this is correct and I have to say, that she will usually face south or north! Many other animals know where north and south are without a compass. For example, when birds migrate, it is possible that they navigate using their ability to sense north, south, east and west. I wish that humans could have this incredible talent!

Benjamin Z. said...

This article didn't really stand out to me in the littlest bit. As I have a dog, it is interesting information, but I read an article about how Canadians cured cancer. Despite this huge breakthrough, nobody seemed to notice. Instead, they are worried about these petty things. As I was reading the reviews, I realized two things: First, some people tried this with their dogs, to no extent. This raised a red flag for me. If they are so sure about this "discovery," it should work for every dog. Second, somebody mentioned that dogs may just like having their sides facing the sun. I mean honestly, I feel that this article had a lot of flaws. If they are going to say this is true. it least provide the disbelievers with more information.

Benjamin Z. said...

Additionally, I read another article, which said that only minor disturbances set the pooping pattern completely off. Also, in the article, they really explained nothing. How do they do that, any why, and when? Is there a specific time they do?

Benjamin Z. said...

Lastly, they stated the fact that it was enigmatic why they aligned at all. In my mind, this means: they have no idea about this assignment, and they were groping for a hold.

Davis said...

Albeit it may seem very "interesting" to some, for me this behavior isn't quite surprising. Not only does it evidently occur in other species of animals, but also it seems just like how, for example, according to speculation that animals, especially canines, have a strong sense of when a natural disaster is going to occur. Yes, the geomagnetic field is something entirely irrelevant in relation to sense and ability (except for the opinion on whether the alignment is sensorially perceived or not), although I believe that it's useless information practically. It's not like dogs or any animal can speak a human language to communicate and warn when a hurricane is approaching the side of the country, and it's the same with this science. It may be an interesting fact, but I don't understand what we can use this for in further canine-to-human relation and evolution research. Agreeing with Clyde on this one.

Anastasia said...

This article was very cool although it lacked facts. I think it should have had some more facts to support it's statement and make it more clear. Wow, I thought that dogs just went wherever and whenever. I never thought that they preferred a certain direction. I really wonder why they do this. Does it help them with something? This is really something new. I did some research and I found out that other animals also do this while grazing or just doing their business. I really don't think that this is going to help scientists with any new discoveries but I still think it is cool. I give this article a B+ because it was open ended and scientists could have used their time better but it was still interesting.

Bianca said...

This was a very... I would say different yet very interesting article. I never exactly paid attention to how dogs or other animals poop. I don't own a dog myself, but I recently watched over my parents' friends' dog for a couple of days. I never thought that animals as simple as dogs can relate to the north and south magnetic lines. However, I don't understand why this information if useful. It may be facinating, but I don't think it necessarily helped with anything. While I was reading the article I kept wondering why scientists would even bother studying this. Why did they even care to research and experiment? Was this going to lead to some great cause that they are thinking about? What exactly was the purpose?