Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Into the Deep: Expedition Seeks Life in Ocean Trench

Brought to you by Angela


A fish investigating a baited camera on the Atlantic's deep seafloor.
Credit: RSS James Cook Cruise 62

11 comments:

Ally O. said...

I thought that this was a really interesting article to read about. I learned a lot from it, and I thought that this article had lots of details and was very enjoyable to read about. I loved reading this because I love oceans and marine life, so this was a really cool article to read about. It taught me a lot about all the questions I developed when reading this article. Many articles have lots of unanswered questions, but this was not that type of article. I really enjoyed reading this article also because I thought that it had lots of great little details and facts throughout the entire thing. I would rate this article about 10/10 stars because I enjoyed the topic, and learned a lot from a short amount of text (the article).

Sophia said...

This article was surprising because I never knew that strange marine creatures such as massive, shrimp-like crustaceans called amphipods that lived 4 miles (6 kilometers) beneath the sea surface were alive. I also never knew that creatures feed on each other as well as food and nutrients that flow into the trenches on currents. That is really cool and disgusting at the same time. I learned from this article about the Kermadec Trench and that it is 32,963 feet underwater. I would rate this article an 8 out of 10 stars because it could have been longer with more information.

Erica said...

I think that this article was very interesting. It had a lot of information and described a lot. I think it is very interesting how water from Antartica flows into the gorge, making it one of the coldest ocean canyons on Earth. I think it is amazing how snailfish can live in such cold temperatures. I wanted to find out more about snailfish. I found that snailfish can withstand pressures equal to 1,600 elephants standing on the roof of a Mini Cooper. I think it is interesting how one of Earth's tectonic plates dives underneath another tectonic plate. The sinking plate pushes downward from the surface of the Earth, creating a deep valley, or trench. This is an amazing process. I would rate this article a 9 out of 10 because it could have had more information, but it was a really informative article.

Maddie W. said...

I think that this article was very interesting. I think that it is cool that people are searching the ocean floor. What are they looking for? I would like to find out what they find in there search. Overall I give this article an 6 out of 10.

Liza said...

Cool! What a captivating article about marine life in the earth's most extreme water habitat. Kermadec Trench, located offshore New Zealand in the pacific ocean is the deepest and coldest trench in the world. Scientists are willing to take the three year journey through the freezing waters to find traces of marine life. Marine life in the deepest trenches must be used to living in super cold waters and also under a massive amount of pressure. The scientists on this expedition will look into and compare the marine life in trenches to the life in oceans and normal bodies of water. Overall, this article taught me a lot about what there is to know about marine life especially in trenches.

Alec A. said...

I thought that this article was very interesting. I thought it was cool how we found a new species of fish is a trench in the one of the coldest parts of the ocean. I thought that it was surprising how a species could live 32,963 feet under water. I think that it is amazing how this species has survived with little light. I think that it is really cool how you are trying to something and something totally different happens. In this case it was that they were trying to find the animal diversity and found a new species. Overall this article was one of the best so far.

Samantha said...

This article is really wonderful. There is so much valuable information to learn from the upcoming underwater expedition to take place at previously unexplored depths. It is amazing that humans have developed technology that is advanced enough to explore a trench 32,963 feet deep. Additionally, the area is enveloped by frigid water, meaning that the equipment used needs to be even more rugged and sophisticated. While I was reading this article, I formulated a number of questions about this trench. Of course, many of them cannot be answered until scientists have completed the three-year study. Until then, however, there is still some information I expect to uncover with some additional research. First, I would like to learn how the trench was created. The article said that one tectonic plate was being forced under another, but I would like to know which two are the ones that created the trench. Further, I would be interested to discover whether there are any other similar trenches. In addition, I would like to research more about the equipment that is going to be used, more specifically, how it is going to work, particularly in the harsh environment of frigid water and at such depths. Lastly, I would like to get a general idea of what kinds of animals scientists believe live in the trench. I know the article gave one example, but I would like to research more.

Samantha said...

Earlier I mentioned a few questions concerning this article, and now that I have researched those questions, I would like to take the time to answer them. First, I learned that the trench was created when the Pacific Tectonic Plate was forced under the Australian Plate. Scientists have already found different animals living in the trench, including sea cucumbers, shellfish, snails, sea stars, worms, shrimps and barnacles. Those animals, though, may not be living too far deep. There are many deep trenches in the world, but some of the most well known are the Marian Trench, the Tonga Trench, and the Philippine Trench. All three trenches are deeper than the Kermadec Trench.
In order to make the expedition successful, there are many different types of tools that are going to be used. One piece of equipment that will be helpful to the scientists, and which was also mentioned in the article, is called HROV Nereus. Created at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, this vehicle is an extremely amazing piece of technology. Its purpose is mainly to explore. As a result, the mechanism was designed to survive the extreme cold and immense pressure exerted on it by the Earth’s deepest oceans. This unmanned contraption works in two different modes. In the first, Nereus is able to swim in a free manner as an autonomous underwater vehicle, otherwise known as AUV. Using this mode, scientists can send Nereus into the water, and then have it report back with the depth and characteristics of the sea floor. When put into its second mode, Nereus can be even more important, and can act as a remotely operated vehicle, RUV. Connected to the ship by what is described as a “micro-thin, fiber-optic cable”, scientists can view real video images of wherever Nereus is. Additionally, scientists can command Nereus to take samples, and conduct a wide range of experiments.
Another valuable piece of equipment is known as Hadal Lander B. Hadal Lander B is a “free-falling baited lander” whose purpose is, simply put, to gather data. Equipped with one 5 megapixel digital camera and a Conductivity Temperature and Depth sensor, this machine has enormous potential. By putting the camera on vertically, the camera is able to capture quite a bit. Additionally, around 1 kilogram of bait is positioned in a spot visible to the camera. The bait is also placed to “intersect the sediment-water interface.” The scent coming from the bait attracts scavenging fauna. Using the camera, time-lapse images are taken of the fauna at 60 second intervals. The Hadal Lander moves upstream, and the faunas follow. The pressure and salinity of the water are also recorded every ten seconds while the faunas follow. Everything is pre-programmed, so there is no need for communication between the scientists and the machine. As soon as the Hadal Lander finishes its exploration, all data is downloaded. Along with all of the complicated devices located on the Hadal Lander, baited funnel traps are often put on the machine as well. These traps are often attached to either one of the three legs on the Hadal Lander, or on the mooring line. Using these traps, scientists collect scavenging crustaceans.
Complete with advanced technology, sophisticated equipment, and new methodologies, our dedicated scientists have a wonderful opportunity to make a wide range of discoveries, and learn the truth about even the most remote parts of our world. I am confident this expedition is going to be both amazing and beneficial.

Jack said...

I thought this article was fascinating. It impressed me that animals could survive under such cold, harsh conditions. This is practically like studying animals in space, because it is very hard to get down there and we know nearly nothing about it. It seems like everything we know about evolution is from studying animals who evolved in more temperate conditions. It will be interesting to see what they can learn.

Katarina said...

I think that this was fascinating. I never thought these massive shrimp-like crustaceans called amphipods that lived deep in the ocean. This is really amazing and this was a very etailed article. It was really surprising that creatures could live so far deep under the ocean. What other deep sea creatures do we not know about? I really enjoyed this article and found a lot of details for such a short article.

Kayla said...

I thought that this article was surprising because I never knew that rare and strange marine life could be so enormous. I wonder if the strange animals were normal, but because of the extreme temperature were forced to evolve making them different.