Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Quake That Shook Up Geology


The 1964 Great Alaska Quake caused several downtown areas of Anchorage to collapse. Here, that 11-foot (3.4 meter) drop — or subsidence — took a line of parked cars with it. Before the event, the sidewalk (left) had been as high as the street (far right).
U.S. Army 1964, USGS.gov

5 comments:

Liza said...

Wow! What an amazing article about the 64' earthquake in Alaska. I never knew that quakes could be so complicated and full of impact on the ground we stand on. I found it very tragic that there were 131 deaths on that misfortunate day. I never would have thought that massive earthquakes could cause tsunamis' and tectonic plate action. After I looked at the maps and compared them, I was amazed at how much the tectonic plates had moved from before to after the earthquake. I always love to read and hear about tragic stories and events that have left a mark on our history forever. Overall, I loved the detail of this article. I adored hearing about the intriguing story of this quake and how it effected our everyday lives. From know on, I carry much more knowledge about earthquakes and the impact they could make on our future.

Jonas said...

This was probably the most interesting article i've read so far on this blog! It was so informative, so interesting, and gave so much history! It's amazing how a 9.2 magnitude quake can effect practically all of North America! Also that it could affect the way tectonic plates were thought of. As that being the second biggest earthquake in history though I can imagine the 131 deaths being a bit more. Even though this was a bit of a tragic story, it gave so much qualitative information that after 1 paragraph, it didn't bother me at all. Overall i'd rate this a 10 out of 10 for sure. From this moment forth, I now know a history about the '64 Great Alaska Quake and about how it effected Earth!

Christina said...

I thought that this article was great but also really scary. It shows how unpredictable earthquakes are and the damage that it can do. It's terrifying to think that an earthquake like this one could happen near us. Why does Alaska have so many earthquakes, though? Is the Pacific Plate particulary unstable? Also, when plates shift under another one, causing an earthquake, does the underlying one every come back from under the other plate, or does it just continue shifting more and more under the plate? For example, if the Pacific Plate went under the North American plate 60 feet, would it ever come out from the north American plate, or would it stay under? Also, if the Pacific Plate slipped 60 feet, at 9.2, how much did the Chilean plate slip during the 9.5 quake? When I looked this up , some websites said that the Nazca plate only slipped 50 feet below the South American plate. However, this is a shorter distance than the Alaskan earthquake. Are there other things that affect the power of an earthquake? Also, I was wondering if the Pacific plate is now moving quicker or slower than it was then. When I looked it up, it said that the plate was moving 3-4 inches per year. Does that mean that there'll be another earthquae anytime soon? Anyway, I thought this was a great article and though it was a terrible event, we still learned so much from it.

Angela said...

This was a really great article. It's hard to imagine such a huge earthquake. I know that 131 is already a large amount of deaths, but I agree with Jonas that it could have been more. Tsunamis can be very devastating. I thought that the way that the article explained plate tectonics was very interesting. I also thought it was weird to think that the plates could be moving. I wanted to find out more about this, and interestingly enough, another website I visited says that the Pacific Plate moves 3 to 4 inches per year as opposed to the 2.5 that this article mentions, just like what Christina found. But if this plate moves such a great distance per year, and it already moved under the North American Plate, then it could already be a good deal into that plate, which only moves about 1 inch per year, lifting it up slightly. In the end, I thought that this was a really interesting article, and that it explained a lot that I now know about plate tectonics. I think that this was really interesting and I would like to know more about this topic.

Morgan said...

I thought that this article was really cool. It was really informative and interesting, I like the power words section at the end. It's amazing that a quake in Alaska made ripples on lakes in texas! I wonder if the Pacific Plate is really unstable and moves a lot? Also, If the Pacific plate slid one direction, and then slid in the opposite direction what would happen? Would the plate split in half? I agree with Jonas, I would give this article a 10 out of 10