An artist's impression of Siats shows the predator terrorizing smaller tyrannosaurs during the Late Cretaceous period.
Julio Lacerda
21 comments:
Yvette
said...
I think that it is very interesting that we are discovering new species of dinosaurs and other creatures. It's amazing that the creature that we found was so big, weighing approximately 9 meters long and 3.5 tons. I'm confused about the part where it says that the dinosaur was a juvenile. How would they know that if they have only found one skeleton to date? Also, how would they know that it terrorized the ancestors of the tyrannosaurs and kept it from the top of the food chain? Do we actually know that the ancestors of the tyrannosaurs started small and got larger because they were bigger than the Siat's later.
I researched it and I found out that scientists find the approximate age of dinosaur skeletons (adult or juvenile) is determined on how big they are. Another possible way that I though of is to date the age of a dinosaur is to look at their teeth. In other archeological situations, we normally use the teeth to determine if the specimen was young or old. This process is used more commonly when veterinarians are trying to find out how old a dog is. Younger animals have less tooth decay, and carnivorous dinosaur teeth probably follow about the same pattern.
I really enjoyed reading and learning about the Siats meekerorum. I think that it is very cool that scientists have found a new species of dinosaur. It is very interesting that they are able to find out that the dinosaur is a different species, and is not just a little bit different looking. I wonder how they figure this out? Can they know for sure? I also wonder how they find out if a species of animals that they find is carnivorous. I would really like to find out more on this topic. Over all I would give this article a 7 because it was interesting, but did not explain everything.
This article was interesting to me even though I thought it would have been a better article if they had but more information about the Siats. I find it surprising that the Siats and the T. Rex are "fighting" for the second largest predator found in North America. Also, where was the skeleton found and where is it displayed now?
I thought this was an interesting article, yet I agree that it could have explained more. Also, how is it that we have only found the remains of such a huge dinosaur recently? Why have they only found one skeleton of a juvenile? Another question I have is how T. Rex got to the top. The article states that T. Rex had small ancestors. Is it possible that T. Rex adapted to protect itself from the Siats? Did the Siats die out after the rise of T. Rex, or before? I really think that these are all reasons that we should research more on this topic and find more skeletons. To answer Sophia's question, the article said they roamed around Utah, so the skeleton may have been found around that area. Also, some other websites said that the bones were discovered by Field Museum scientists. Another interesting thing I found on some of the websites was that this dinosaur was named after the Siats, the man-eating monster from the legends of the Ute, a Native American tribe around that area. This was a really thought-provoking article, and I can't wait to find out more about this new type of dinosaur.
To answer Sohpia's question about were the dinosaur was displayed, I don't think it was displayed. I mean, if you were to just discover a new, super rare dinosaur, you would probably do a lot of tests and DNA sampling as apposed to showing it to the public. So basically, I don't think they displayed it. Also, I did some research and found nothing.
I both agree and disagree with Sam. I think that you're right that they will be sampling DNA and finding more out at first. Then I think that once they have found every possible bit of information they can obtain from that fossil, they might (notice I said MIGHT) display it in a safe place where scientists have easy access. Or, they might even go digging in Utah (I believe that's where they mentioned the species used to be) and try to find more to display. There is no doubt they will search for more information on the Siats meekerorum after this, though.
I was surprised that a 9-meter long dinosaur would take second place for the predators of Earth. I think something must be wrong with my visualization skills, but 9 meters doesn't seem like that much in my head. Am I overlooking something?
I thought the article nicely summed up the main ideas into a short article that is great for people to read if they are crunched on time. However, useful as it may be, I still wish the article had been a little longer. The amount of info didn't quite fill me up. Overall this article gets a 7.5 out of 10 stars from me.
Like others have said, it was interesting that a new dinosaur was just discovers. This just goes to show that our modern society is still making important discoveries that help us in our studies of the dinosaur era. Although it was very interesting to see a new species of dinosaur, the article was very short, and it was probably this way because it left out important information. Lo and behold, after doing some research, I found some things. First, the Siats Meekerorum were considered the kings of dinosaurs before the T. Rex. As the animal began to go extinct, people began to wonder if larger T. Rex's were the cause of that. At the T. Rex's peak, it was twice as large as the Siats Meekerorum! It might have evolved to fend of attacks from these Tyrannosaurus attacks. Also, an interesting discovery scientists made is that both the T. Rex and the S. Meekerorum were thin-walled, meaning hollow bones. Lastly, Utah may be a good place to look for dinosaurs, because in that same place, they discovered three other species of dinosaurs at the same time and location. Also, studies show that we are eating dinosaurs for thanksgiving. They share hundreds of anatomical features.
The thing that I found most interesting about this article is that they only had one example and yet they knew that the dinosaur was a juvenile. The article was very straight and nicely put together as what you would call "short but sweet". Since I am one who loves animals this definitely came to my attention.
Also, Sophia, I think you might have made a mistake. The Siats are not fighting the T. Rex for second. Although the Siat was the largest for a while. It's first place position was taken by the T. Rex. It was fighting with the Acrocanthrosaurus.
Wow! This article is really fascinating because, I thougt there was no animal even a little bit close to the T - Rex in size. This animal is quite profound, and I was reading the comments on the website, and someone asked, "How do they know it was a juvenile, if all they have is one example?" and then I realized that that is a excellent question. If that is true, the animal could be bigger than we think, or smaller because that could have been a larger than normal version of the Siats meekerorum. I wonder what they normally ate because of their size. If someone could answer me about what they eat that would be great.
I thought that this article was very interesting, it is very cool that we found a new species of donosours. Personaly I think that they could have given much more information on this topic. Also where it said the Siat's was compeating with Alosourus for top dinosour I thought that Alosourus would totally destroy Siants in a fight, but I need to reserch Siants a little more to be sure. Overall I would give this article a 4 because it gave almost no information about Siants dinosaur.
To answer your question Jacob the Siants probably ate Argentinosaurus which was a huge 120 foot long herbivore or hadrosaurs which was a smaller herbivore. Also in this article it said that Siants was one of the biggest carnivores it is comparatively tiny compared to 100 ton giants like Argentinosaurus.
I found this article very interesting. I can’t believe that they have discovered this amazing dinosaur. In this article, it mentioned that the S. Meekerorum was close in size to the Acrocanthosaurus. I researched a little bit about this dinosaur, as I did not know much about it. One important feature that I discovered was that, when Acrocanthosaurus was alive, it had seventeen-inch spikes that extended from it’s back. In addition, this dinosaur had a 4.5-foot long skull and 68 serrated teeth. It also had three fingers on each hand with sharp claws. The article also mentioned that the T. Rex is still the largest predator ever located in North America. Though I know a little bit more about this dinosaur, if anyone has some interesting facts, either more about the Ancroscanthosaurus or the T. Rex, I would love to learn more.
To me the most interesting thing was that the Siats meekerorum terrorized the ancestors of the t-rex. Even though the t-rex is and will most likely stay the biggest dinosaur it amazes me what the Siats meekerorum could do. I was wondering throughout the article how they can tell that it was a juvenile? I later found out that they did it using the carbon 14 method. After reading this article I would give it a 6 because it didn't give me all of the information that I wanted to recieve.
It is truly amazing that man has discovered a predator to the T-Rex. It is also so immense, weighing in at 3.5 tons and coming in with a length of 9 whole meters. That is about 30 feet, five times the height of the average grown man. The Siats meekerorum is second coolest dinosaur in my book. They took down T-Rexes with ease as seen in the picture. I would not want to come across one of those things anywhere.
I find it so interesting that scientists have discovered a new species of dinosaur called Siats meekerorum. This creature seems so huge being 9 meters long and weighing so much! It is so interesting that it is the second largest predator in North America next to the T. rex. The main researcher (Zanno) said that this discovery has helped scientists find out what dinosaurs existed in the 60 million year gap between the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. After they went extinct then the tyrannosaours got larger so that the T. rex is about twice the weight of a Siat. One question, how exactly is this team of researchers sure that Siats ruled them, one skeleton isn’t a lot of evidence? Scientists haven’t figured out much about this species, so there is still much to find out about it.
I think this is probably the most interesting article, because it's crazy that they found a creature that was so big. Like Joel said it is about 30 feet which s about 3 times as big as a human being. In my opinion, I would say that this is the best article that I have read.
I think it was interesting that they just now found such a lethal dinosaur. It was amazing how big it was, 9 meters and 3.5 tons. A question I had is how they know if the dinosaur was a juvenile if they only have 1 skeleton? I researched this and found that looking at thier teeth is a good way to determine their age.
I think that this article was short but sweet. Easy to read, it conveyed the basic facts of the dinosaur without confusing anything. I think that the fact that they found a new dinosaur at all at this point is just amazing, and I would just like to point that our. I liked how they showed a representation on the top of the article to show how big the dinosaur would be compared to a Trex, and I don't think I'd like to be in it's way. I think that what Yvette found out about teeth was pretty cool, and I know that one of the things they do to find out about ancient tribes they find is to take some of the found mummies or preserved bodies and check their teeth, both to date them and to analyze them for food remains. I think that this article was amazing, well thought out, and organized.
I thought this article was really cool. Another way they could have found out how old it was by testing the bones of the dinosaur to see how old it was in a special machine. How do we know that dinosaurs weren't covered in feathers? This article left many blanks, even though it was cool.
Amazing! Who would think that there are more dinosaur species out there. I loved this article, but wanted to know more. I found out that in 2008 part of the skeleton was first found in Utah's Cedar Mountain Formation where its bones were found sticking out of the mountain side. The Siat meekerorum name comes from a cannibalistic man-eating monster from a Native American tribe in Utah. Since the new dinosaur paleontologist found was a juvenile, than an adult of its species may have been 12 meters long and weigh 6,200 kg. Because it lived in the Late Cretaceous period in an area with tons of water and vegetation, this helped animal and plant life. It is amazing how new species are being discovered.
21 comments:
I think that it is very interesting that we are discovering new species of dinosaurs and other creatures. It's amazing that the creature that we found was so big, weighing approximately 9 meters long and 3.5 tons. I'm confused about the part where it says that the dinosaur was a juvenile. How would they know that if they have only found one skeleton to date? Also, how would they know that it terrorized the ancestors of the tyrannosaurs and kept it from the top of the food chain? Do we actually know that the ancestors of the tyrannosaurs started small and got larger because they were bigger than the Siat's later.
I researched it and I found out that scientists find the approximate age of dinosaur skeletons (adult or juvenile) is determined on how big they are. Another possible way that I though of is to date the age of a dinosaur is to look at their teeth. In other archeological situations, we normally use the teeth to determine if the specimen was young or old. This process is used more commonly when veterinarians are trying to find out how old a dog is. Younger animals have less tooth decay, and carnivorous dinosaur teeth probably follow about the same pattern.
I really enjoyed reading and learning about the Siats meekerorum. I think that it is very cool that scientists have found a new species of dinosaur. It is very interesting that they are able to find out that the dinosaur is a different species, and is not just a little bit different looking. I wonder how they figure this out? Can they know for sure? I also wonder how they find out if a species of animals that they find is carnivorous. I would really like to find out more on this topic. Over all I would give this article a 7 because it was interesting, but did not explain everything.
This article was interesting to me even though I thought it would have been a better article if they had but more information about the Siats. I find it surprising that the Siats and the T. Rex are "fighting" for the second largest predator found in North America. Also, where was the skeleton found and where is it displayed now?
I thought this was an interesting article, yet I agree that it could have explained more. Also, how is it that we have only found the remains of such a huge dinosaur recently? Why have they only found one skeleton of a juvenile? Another question I have is how T. Rex got to the top. The article states that T. Rex had small ancestors. Is it possible that T. Rex adapted to protect itself from the Siats? Did the Siats die out after the rise of T. Rex, or before? I really think that these are all reasons that we should research more on this topic and find more skeletons. To answer Sophia's question, the article said they roamed around Utah, so the skeleton may have been found around that area. Also, some other websites said that the bones were discovered by Field Museum scientists. Another interesting thing I found on some of the websites was that this dinosaur was named after the Siats, the man-eating monster from the legends of the Ute, a Native American tribe around that area. This was a really thought-provoking article, and I can't wait to find out more about this new type of dinosaur.
To answer Sohpia's question about were the dinosaur was displayed, I don't think it was displayed. I mean, if you were to just discover a new, super rare dinosaur, you would probably do a lot of tests and DNA sampling as apposed to showing it to the public. So basically, I don't think they displayed it. Also, I did some research and found nothing.
I both agree and disagree with Sam. I think that you're right that they will be sampling DNA and finding more out at first. Then I think that once they have found every possible bit of information they can obtain from that fossil, they might (notice I said MIGHT) display it in a safe place where scientists have easy access. Or, they might even go digging in Utah (I believe that's where they mentioned the species used to be) and try to find more to display. There is no doubt they will search for more information on the Siats meekerorum after this, though.
I was surprised that a 9-meter long dinosaur would take second place for the predators of Earth. I think something must be wrong with my visualization skills, but 9 meters doesn't seem like that much in my head. Am I overlooking something?
I thought the article nicely summed up the main ideas into a short article that is great for people to read if they are crunched on time. However, useful as it may be, I still wish the article had been a little longer. The amount of info didn't quite fill me up. Overall this article gets a 7.5 out of 10 stars from me.
Like others have said, it was interesting that a new dinosaur was just discovers. This just goes to show that our modern society is still making important discoveries that help us in our studies of the dinosaur era. Although it was very interesting to see a new species of dinosaur, the article was very short, and it was probably this way because it left out important information. Lo and behold, after doing some research, I found some things. First, the Siats Meekerorum were considered the kings of dinosaurs before the T. Rex. As the animal began to go extinct, people began to wonder if larger T. Rex's were the cause of that. At the T. Rex's peak, it was twice as large as the Siats Meekerorum! It might have evolved to fend of attacks from these Tyrannosaurus attacks. Also, an interesting discovery scientists made is that both the T. Rex and the S. Meekerorum were thin-walled, meaning hollow bones. Lastly, Utah may be a good place to look for dinosaurs, because in that same place, they discovered three other species of dinosaurs at the same time and location. Also, studies show that we are eating dinosaurs for thanksgiving. They share hundreds of anatomical features.
The thing that I found most interesting about this article is that they only had one example and yet they knew that the dinosaur was a juvenile. The article was very straight and nicely put together as what you would call "short but sweet". Since I am one who loves animals this definitely came to my attention.
Also, Sophia, I think you might have made a mistake. The Siats are not fighting the T. Rex for second. Although the Siat was the largest for a while. It's first place position was taken by the T. Rex. It was fighting with the Acrocanthrosaurus.
Wow! This article is really fascinating because, I thougt there was no animal even a little bit close to the T - Rex in size. This animal is quite profound, and I was reading the comments on the website, and someone asked, "How do they know it was a juvenile, if all they have is one example?" and then I realized that that is a excellent question. If that is true, the animal could be bigger than we think, or smaller because that could have been a larger than normal version of the Siats meekerorum. I wonder what they normally ate because of their size. If someone could answer me about what they eat that would be great.
I thought that this article was very interesting, it is very cool that we found a new species of donosours. Personaly I think that they could have given much more information on this topic. Also where it said the Siat's was compeating with Alosourus for top dinosour I thought that Alosourus would totally destroy Siants in a fight, but I need to reserch Siants a little more to be sure. Overall I would give this article a 4 because it gave almost no information about Siants dinosaur.
To answer your question Jacob the Siants probably ate Argentinosaurus which was a huge 120 foot long herbivore or hadrosaurs which was a smaller herbivore. Also in this article it said that Siants was one of the biggest carnivores it is comparatively tiny compared to 100 ton giants like Argentinosaurus.
I found this article very interesting. I can’t believe that they have discovered this amazing dinosaur. In this article, it mentioned that the S. Meekerorum was close in size to the Acrocanthosaurus. I researched a little bit about this dinosaur, as I did not know much about it. One important feature that I discovered was that, when Acrocanthosaurus was alive, it had seventeen-inch spikes that extended from it’s back. In addition, this dinosaur had a 4.5-foot long skull and 68 serrated teeth. It also had three fingers on each hand with sharp claws. The article also mentioned that the T. Rex is still the largest predator ever located in North America. Though I know a little bit more about this dinosaur, if anyone has some interesting facts, either more about the Ancroscanthosaurus or the T. Rex, I would love to learn more.
To me the most interesting thing was that the Siats meekerorum terrorized the ancestors of the t-rex. Even though the t-rex is and will most likely stay the biggest dinosaur it amazes me what the Siats meekerorum could do. I was wondering throughout the article how they can tell that it was a juvenile? I later found out that they did it using the carbon 14 method. After reading this article I would give it a 6 because it didn't give me all of the information that I wanted to recieve.
It is truly amazing that man has discovered a predator to the T-Rex. It is also so immense, weighing in at 3.5 tons and coming in with a length of 9 whole meters. That is about 30 feet, five times the height of the average grown man. The Siats meekerorum is second coolest dinosaur in my book. They took down T-Rexes with ease as seen in the picture. I would not want to come across one of those things anywhere.
I find it so interesting that scientists have discovered a new species of dinosaur called Siats meekerorum. This creature seems so huge being 9 meters long and weighing so much! It is so interesting that it is the second largest predator in North America next to the T. rex. The main researcher (Zanno) said that this discovery has helped scientists find out what dinosaurs existed in the 60 million year gap between the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. After they went extinct then the tyrannosaours got larger so that the T. rex is about twice the weight of a Siat. One question, how exactly is this team of researchers sure that Siats ruled them, one skeleton isn’t a lot of evidence? Scientists haven’t figured out much about this species, so there is still much to find out about it.
I think this is probably the most interesting article, because it's crazy that they found a creature that was so big. Like Joel said it is about 30 feet which s about 3 times as big as a human being. In my opinion, I would say that this is the best article that I have read.
I think it was interesting that they just now found such a lethal dinosaur. It was amazing how big it was, 9 meters and 3.5 tons. A question I had is how they know if the dinosaur was a juvenile if they only have 1 skeleton? I researched this and found that looking at thier teeth is a good way to determine their age.
I think that this article was short but sweet. Easy to read, it conveyed the basic facts of the dinosaur without confusing anything. I think that the fact that they found a new dinosaur at all at this point is just amazing, and I would just like to point that our. I liked how they showed a representation on the top of the article to show how big the dinosaur would be compared to a Trex, and I don't think I'd like to be in it's way. I think that what Yvette found out about teeth was pretty cool, and I know that one of the things they do to find out about ancient tribes they find is to take some of the found mummies or preserved bodies and check their teeth, both to date them and to analyze them for food remains. I think that this article was amazing, well thought out, and organized.
I thought this article was really cool. Another way they could have found out how old it was by testing the bones of the dinosaur to see how old it was in a special machine. How do we know that dinosaurs weren't covered in feathers? This article left many blanks, even though it was cool.
Amazing! Who would think that there are more dinosaur species out there. I loved this article, but wanted to know more. I found out that in 2008 part of the skeleton was first found in Utah's Cedar Mountain Formation where its bones were found sticking out of the mountain side. The Siat meekerorum name comes from a cannibalistic man-eating monster from a Native American tribe in Utah. Since the new dinosaur paleontologist found was a juvenile, than an adult of its species may have been 12 meters long and weigh 6,200 kg. Because it lived in the Late Cretaceous period in an area with tons of water and vegetation, this helped animal and plant life. It is amazing how new species are being discovered.
Post a Comment