Friday, December 13, 2013

Jupiter's Moon Europa Spotted Spouting Water


Spouting Water on Europa: Possible plumes of water spraying from Europa’s south pole have been spotted by the Hubble Space Telescope.
Image: K. Retherford/Southwest Research Institute

12 comments:

Erica said...

I find it interesting that Europa can spout plumes. This may show that there are other life forms on Europa. If this is true, then we can learn more about everything. We can learn what the most important things are that you need to survive. It might be different for those life forms, or it might be the same. I think that water is the most important thing, but where might the other life forms get their food from? They could be eating something that we have never heard of before. If we get these things, we might be better of in the world. I also wonder where it gets all the water from. Europa might have an adaption that the Earth doesn't have. I thought this was a very interesting article because of all the information it had. While I was reading this article, thoughts circled in my head. I would rate this a 10 out of 10 because of how it related everything together.

Jak F. said...

We already knew that there is water on Europa, so it wasn't a big surprise to me until the article mentioned that the plumes were probably not connected to the oceans, but another water source. This increases the chance that there is life on Europa. I am glad that someone is finally sending a probe to look on Europa. All though it is in 2022, and will probably take another few years to get there, I am happy that they are going to do it. I also hope that the US sends something too.
If we do find other life forms with the probe that they are sending, I wonder what they will be. I have a feeling they we will be similar to bacteria, but I may be wrong. This article is one of my favorites because it didn't give us a ton of information, but it also didn't have to little. It had the right amount of information and the right information, not just useless stuff with a lot of spaces. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 because nothing is perfect.

Lilah said...

I also already knew about Europa's underground oceans, and thought is was kind of ironic that of all places on Europa the water could have come from, it might not have come from the ocean. I think that if Europa's water contains life it might contain organisms like archaea, because archaea like to live in extreme conditions, and I think cold, isolate Europa counts as extreme. I think scientists should continue exploring Europa for signs of life. I think it would be really cool if Europa could be made sustainable for some Earth organisms! Besides, I went to a planetarium show once and it said Europa's waters match all of the requirements including the right temperature with a heat source being underwater magma. And seeing as there's magma underwater, it just sounds more suitable for archaea. Overall I would give the article 9 out of 10 stars.

Dhilan said...

That is something very intresting. I would look into that much more. It is super crazy how water was found spotted and Jupiter's moon Europa. This could lead to some other of it's moon to have water on it. Who knows what could happend in years to come. There could actually be people living on the moon with this new discovery. Similar to what Erica said, I also water where all this water is coming from. I would rate this on a scale of 1 to 10 a 9 because it is such and intresting article.

Morgan said...

I found it very interesting that Europa had (and still has) an underground ocean. I never knew this before, and now I know that there may be alien life of Europa. I also found this article really cool because just the other day I watched a movie about alien life on Europa and I was thinking, why couldn't we live there? I mean, there's water, oxygen, and by 2050 we will probably be able to make our own food or something along those lines. Think about that, wouldn't that be just AWSOME? Well I think i'll do a little reaserch and come back to you guys.

Shirell said...

While I was reading this article I started to think about why humans have never seen this spout of water before (that is, if it really exists). I started to wonder if maybe some of the minerals in the underground ocean could have gone through some sort of change through environmental changes. At this point in the article I remembered the article I read last week about a comet that is coming towards our sun. When I thought of this, I wondered if maybe this comet is getting close enough to Europa to have an environmental change that would make the spout of water come to be. Hopefully scientists will be able to make new discoveries off of this one in the coming years.

Rachel said...

WOW! If this is really true, maybe we could live on this planet, we could bring trees, and plants, and it could be a whole new world! It would be amazing. Who knew that science is so complicated!

Emmie said...

Ever since I was little I was always interested in alien life. I think that it is amazing that we have actually gotten a nice picture of water spouting out of a geyser on Europa. I have heard about other planets or moons having traces of water or large frozen bodies of water, but never have I actually seen a picture of a lot of water in outer space. This of course makes me wonder if there is any life on Europa. The chances are higher than most planets and moons because there is a significant source of water and the conditions are not too bad. I also wonder that if scientists ever did find life on this planet, what kind of life would it be? Bacteria, small animals, etc. This also probably has something to do with what the temperature of the water is. It is most likely cold, but what if it is hot? How would this affect the extraterrestrial life found on Europa? Humans probably wouldn't easily be able to survive here, but hopefully we can find out more about living on other planets after Dutch company Mars One performs it venture onto Mars. Maybe we will also learn more about Europa specifically after the probe they are sending gives scientists on earth more information. Perhaps this probe will give us more ideas on where the water comes from because the article mentioned that it might not come from the ocean. Overall, I give this article a 10/10 because of all of the detailed information it gave and how well it was written.

Sophia said...

This article really caught my attention when I first saw it on the blog. I have always been interested in cosmology and astrology, so when I saw the article I was interested. When I read that the plumes were spotted when Europa was at it's farthest distance away from Jupiter, it made me think. If it is true that Europa only spouts water when it is at it's farthest distance away from Jupiter that it only once a year. So that means that the organisms won't be able to live very well. They can only live if they don't need water to survive. Even though this article wasn't very long, I still learned alot from it.

Hudson said...

This is an amazing article to read and it got me thinking, what if Europa is like earth and has a magma layer on the inside. For example, yellowstone has guysers that heat up from the mgma layer in the earth. That would be great if scientists researched about it. Also I think that some of the ice on the moon could have melted and thats were the water came from. It is still really cool however that a guyser was spotted on the moon!

Jacob G. said...

This article was very interesting to me because it shows that there may be a chance for extra-terrestrial life forms on Europa. We did know there was water, so I suspect that overtime Europa may have been heating up, and a plume would spout here and there when the ice broke. This could have happened before we had the Hubble watching it, making it possible that this just happens once every decade or so.

Brian said...

This article immediately caught my attention. Not only is this a big discovery, but it also gives evidence that there could be other life forms on Europa. I also can't wait for 2022, when they find out more information about this shocking article.