Monday, May 12, 2014

The Death of the Universe - TED-Ed

Brought to you by Ben Z


http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/mSzCS_5qtVY/maxresdefault.jpg

17 comments:

Madi M. said...

That was a really interesting, informative, and fun video. I've always been told that stars are balls of gas, and that one day the earth will be sucked up by the sun (or by A black hole, or by THE milky way, or... I've heard a lot of variations on this). However, this Ted video explained the details to how, why and when this was all going to happen. It answered so many things; some I had never even thought about but made me so curious. For example, it's so cool to understand that the universe is flat. For me, I thought there'd be more of a scientific shape to it, but... it's flat. When I (and I think this goes for a lot of others as well) look at the universe, I think of the stars and planets, and was beyond amazed to find out that these things only make up 5% of the universe. It was surprising to see how small the planet and stars percent was, how big the dark matter percent was, and then how HUGE the percent of the dark energy was. Overall, I really liked this video and would definitely recomend it to all space-lovers. I'd rate this Ted Talk a 9/10.
I also enjoyed the animation.

Alec T. said...

This video made me think about when this dark energy apocalypse will come, and if the increasing amount of dark energy will have any effect on humans. If the human race lives a few billion more years, would the people on Earth feel the change in temperature? I always knew that someday all the stars would explode, and the universe will pretty much commit suicide, but I never really knew the science behind it. Dark matter fascinated me, and dark energy, well, sort of scared me. I looked more into dark matter and found that Dark matter bends light in a weird way, so dark matter is the reason that if you see a galaxy in the distance it appears to be smeared, smudged and stretched. The length of this stretch depends on how far away the galaxy is. This video was also really depressing. Hopefully, in the future, scientists will find a way to slow down, stop, or even reverse this process, and the universe will live even longer! But either way, it's not going to happen for billions of years. I was amazed at how scientists can determine the shape of the universe, and how that will effect its fate.

Loran said...

I really like this video. It is informative and the animations make you want to stay and watch. This makes me think how lucky I am and when this apocalypse will happen. I knew about dark matter but
I never knew about dark energy. Now when I look around I feel that where I am looking, there is dark matter and energy. I didn't know that the stars and planets only took up 5% of the universe. What is crazy is that we don't even know what dark matter and dark energy is like even though it takes up most of our universe.

Jacob G. said...

This video creeped me out a little bit. I think the wierdest part of the whole video was the dark energy. Its cool how it expands with the universe, while dark matter and baryonic matter never expand with the universe. I think that the earth itself would be gone by the time it got dark and cold, because the sun is a great help to earth, and our moon might be destroyed as well because of a natural cause thousands of years before. Earth will probably not exist during this time, so I am not that worried.

Katarina said...

This article was very interesting. This is something that I think about a lot and I always wonder what would happen. Like Madi, I was told that one day the earth will be sucked up by the sun (black hole). However this video showed differently. It is really interesting that baryonic matter is only 5% of the universe. That soon the dark energy be such a huge percentage of the universe that everything else will disappear. I disagree with Alec that if we reverse the process the universe will shrink and it will also end that way since we will only be one point. But if there was a way to slow it down, it would hopefully help us. It is really interesting that like black holes, dark matter can bend light. Dark energy and matter are such mysterious things. I looked more into it and saw that some thing dark energy can be "vacuum energy" which is the particles near the "event horizon" (a line right before the black hole which is the edge of where you are safe, once you cross the horizon, you are sucked into the hole) that create a vacuum in the hole. Dark matter is also very mysterious and we know more about it, but we can't find it. Overall, I really liked this video and I hope that one day scientists will find dark matter.

Lilah said...

This video was really cool! Of course, we all know the apocalypse is coming, but this video explains the end of not just the earth but the whole universe too. I really liked the way they represented baryonic matter, dark matter and dark energy with little "blob-people" to help kinds understand better. It's funny to think that that the universe is just going to end the way it started. However, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that there was once and will be nothing. What exactly is nothing? Of course, that's an ironic question because nothing really isn't anything, but then that would bring me back to the same exact question. Maybe "nothing" is all around us. For example, in gases and air, molecules and atoms are spread out the most. But while they are spread out, what is in the space in between the atoms? Overall, I really liked the video and the concepts, and it made me wonder more about matter. However, I think the way they described it was a little too melancholy and sad, which kind of made it not as fun. Overall, I give the video 8.5 out of 10 stars.

Sophia said...

This video was really interesting and fun to watch. The narrator was really detailed and specific with her explanations and ideas, which made me understand almost all of what she said. There is just one question that she didn't answer. When will the dark energy apocalypse come? When will the universe end with its dark fate? I would really like to know the answer to this question. I also really liked how the narrator explained what are universe is made out of because I know am mind-blown about think how little our sight of the universe is compared to how big it actually is. This is so cool!!!
I would rate this video a 9 out of 10 stars because of the immense detail, cute and funny pictures, and amazing topic.

Erica said...

This was a really good video because of its vivid detail and explanations. It does seem unusual that the percent of baryonic matter and dark matter keep getting smaller as the universe expands, while dark energy gets bigger. Based on the research that the universe will get colder and more dominated by dark matter, we get to understand more about the symmetry of the beginning of the universe with the ending, because most people think it has a very sad ending. However, because they also believe that the universe expanded extremely fast, and this is the same way it will end, but having the same ways begginning and ending is good. Because we live in an amazing time period where we can figure out all about the universe, we can learn much more about everything around us. I wonder if some of our environmental issues are causing the problems of dark energy increasing so fast. I also thought that it was really interesting that baryonic mass has been so little, and that there is much more in the universe. I never knew this, and I think this is really interesting. Also, many believe about other things. For example, I once went to the park where an old lady was running around screaming that the universe is going down tommorrow. And the universe did not go down. It is really fascinating how dark matter doesn't reflect light. I think the reason for this is that the matter has something else inside that absorbs the light. I guess everything will get cold and bad, because of the dark energy. I think there is something else out there because the dark energy and the black holes will evaporate and dissapear, so there must be some cause for this. Overall, I think that this is a great article and that scientists should really continue their studies on the universe. I would rate this article a 9 out of 10 because of the interesting ways they explained all the information I needed to know.

Sam said...

I like this video, but I don't like how compressed it was. I mean, inflationary theory is a very interesting topic, but they don't talk that much about it. I wish they did I'd love to no even more about it. The rest of my knowledge is from the Smithsonian magazine, but that's not important. What is important is that this is a major breakthrough in science, but they make it seems like we have basically everything figured out. That's not true, as we still do not know what caused the big bang to occur, only what happened 1 plank time (the time in which the big bang exploded after creation) after. Overall I like this video for it's simplicity and it's good as an introduction to the theory, but, that is all it is... an introduction.

Rachel said...

This video was funny, as wel as informative. I learned so much, and I have to admit, I am kind of scared of what will happen to the universe for future generations. It is also interesting how dark energy will keep consuming the earth, and the other things won't. The dark energy keeps increasing. Overall, I think that I would rate this 4 and a half out of 5 stars

Jonas said...

This video was hilarious and informative. It kind of frustrates me that we barely have a clue of what we live in. By frustrates, I mean, it annoys me at the fact that we don't know the answer. I think it is interesting that the universe will end the same way it started, by acceleration. I would rate this a 10 out of 10 stars. Personally, I like it better in a video because it easier to really get the message.

Jake F. said...

I liked this video a lot, along with a lot of other TED-Eds. I like the way that the woman explained these concepts to us (the audience). The plump little beings described what was in the universe a lot better than a simple chart would have. The facts that they showed, on the other hand, were a little surprising, though not as surprising as what some of you guys are saying. When she said that the only about 5% of the universe was made up of planets, stars, gasses, etc., I wasn't that surprised. It made sense. I just didn't know what the other 95% of the universe was. To learn that it was all Dark Matter and Dark Energy was surprising. I would have liked it a little more if she explained what these two were a little better. She explained a little of what they did and a little of how to find them, but not what they were. Overall, I liked this video, even though it could have included more facts/details about the topics, although they were explained very well. 8 out of 10.

Will said...

I think that this article is very interesting because it was very descriptive and easy to understand. I think that the small, fat, blob-like people were good visual aids. They helped me understand the concepts of baryonic and dark matter and dark energy. I was very surprised that only 5% of the universe is made of was we can see, and that most of the rest will eventually grow until it consumes all matter, baryonic or not. I am astounded by the fact that scientists in our day and age can discover this information.

Alec A. said...

I thought this was a very interesting ted talk. I would have never known that the more the universe grows the percent of visible things goes down. This means that the more the universe grows, no more visible things grow. Another thing that I didn't know is that the universe will be expanding when it dies. Overall this was a very informative and descriptive ted talk. I rate it 8 out of 10 stars.

Emmie said...

TEDed strikes again! I really liked this video and almost wish it had been longer. This topic was so interesting. I have always been kind of obsessed with this topic, so I was so excited to see a video devoted to it. First of all, it was fascinating and also shicking to learn that baryonic matter (what we see when we look into the sky) makes up only 5% of the universe and that dark matter and energy take up the rest of it. I am a little confused, though, about how the universe expands and the shape of the universe. If our universe is almost flat, which way does it expand? Does it only expand outwards or does it also expand the thin way? Because if it did expand both ways, then the universe would no longer be close to flat because it would be stretching out. But if it only expanded out, then everything we were ever tought would be wrong about the universe constantly expanding in every direction.

Also, what will there be after the universe dies? Nothing? Another universe? But if there is another universe, what is beyond the edges of that? Infinite universes all expanding infinitely fast? And will a new universe form after our universe dies? But then there would be a gap because the new universe wouldn't be born the same size that the old universe died at. I have always been intrigued by these questions and would love to learn more about them.

I give the video 8/10 stars because while the information in it was wonderful, I wish there was more of it!

Benjamin Z. said...

I really enjoyed this video, and there was plenty of time to go into more depth. If this was a video that showed a person talking, I would have been uninterested, because the topic was pretty hard to understand. Thanks to the "blob" creatures, it made the video a lot better for me. I was a little bit confused when they said that the universe would end. And not in a good way either. According to what they said, the ratio of baryonic matter: dark matter: dark energy would become disproportionate. The dark energy would take up most of the universe, and when that happens, the stars would run out of gas to keep running. All of the stars would die out, leaving many supernovas and complete darkness. After time, even those supernovas would disappear, leaving only a universe devoid of life. They additionally mentioned that although this was a dark and sad ending to all life, the universe would begin again. This brought up a topic that I wasn't quite sure of: what is the big bang, and what happened? After researching the big bang, it all made sense to me. In one large collision and flash of light, the universe was created and changed exponentially, cooling down and becoming less dense. What is stopping this from happening again? Scientists are not fully sure about this ending of the universe, only that it will be in billions of years.

Emily said...

This video was fun and strange. I love this topic and, like Emmie, I agree that it is an amazing time period and it is so much fun to learn about. This video showed me that one day the earth will be sucked up by black holes and then these black holes will disappear. I never knew that the universe was flat, I assumed, like the earth, it was round. It was also strange to learn that the stars and planets only make up 5% of our universe and that dark matter and energy make up the rest of it. Another strange thing is that we know that dark energy and matter exist but we don't know what they look like. I find this strange because if we know they exist then why can't see them? In conclusion, this video was fun and interesting and I hope we will have more TED-talks soon!