Friday, May 2, 2014

The Dangerous Rise of Electronic Cigarettes

Brought to you by Christina


Electronic cigarettes are billed as a healthier alternative to traditional tobacco cigarettes. However, e-cigarettes still expose users to nicotine, the addictive drug found in tobacco. That has health experts worried that teens’ increased use of e-cigarettes will lead to increased tobacco use, too — and reverse the steep decline in teen-smoking rates.

miriam-doerr/iStockphoto 

20 comments:

Shirell said...

I just want to say that I find this utterly disgusting. I cannot believe that the e-cigarets are campaigning their product as more healthy than regular cigarets if it still emits nicotine. I am further appalled by the idea of flavor names such as lovely bubbly and snicker doodle. I don't understand why this company would want to kill more Americans than are already being killed from smoking. Furthermore, I don't understand why the government hasn't stopped the e-cigaret company from televising vaping. Overall, I thought that this add was, although revolting, informative and interesting.

Arthur said...

I agree with Shirell. Stop making "plans" to put restrictions on the e-cigarettes, just do it before more people die from it. What's interesting is that the company knows that there is nicotine inside the e-cigarette. This is an interesting marketing strategy. If people buy the e-cigarettes once, they'll probably get addicted, and buy more and more of that company's e-cigarette for the remainder of their life. I think that this is the only reason that e-cigarette companies put nicotine and other harmful products in their e-cigarette.

Jaesan said...

I agree with both of them this is disgusting. They need to do something about it before it's to late. It is a good marketing strategy so "one time" buyers become "forever" buyers. In another way, this is stupid. People smoke as a habit, but regular cigarettes have nicotine and other harmful products in it. So if you take out the products people can still smoke but making it healthier.

Juliet said...

Agreeing with Shirell, Arthur, and Jaesan, the government should just put a ban on it. Why should electronic cigarettes get to advertise to teens when regular ones cannot? Also, like Shirell, I think their "Kid Friendly Names" are too young. Those are the kinds of names you see on dollhouses, like, "Ms. Patty's Lovely Bubbly Bakeshop." And also the fact that the refill bottles, which said they didn't have nicotine in them when they did, shows that they are lying in their ads and trying to make them seem more appealing. It's not good that our government wouldn't focus more energy on stopping things like that. The article, however, was very descriptive and quite fascinating.

Bianca said...

I completely agree with Shirell, Arthur, Jaesan, and Juliet. The topic of this article is disgusting. My mom and I actually talked about e-cigarettes before and how they are very unhealthy and how ridiculous it is that advertisers are claiming that it's better than regular cigarettes. I find it hard to believe that our country cares more about money and selling these deadly cigarettes, instead of caring about our country and the people that are dying. It's also unbelieveable that these advertisers are giving these cigarettes kid friendly names like lovely bubbly and snicker doodle. No matter how hard these advertisers try, I will never smoke. Overall although disturbing, this article was very interesting. I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.

Loran said...

I completely agree with Shirell, Arthur, Jaesan, Bianca, and Juliet. This is completely gross. However, we probably weren't the target audience. But going back to smoking, instead of using electronic cigarettes, as an excuse to not smoking normal cigarettes, just don't smoke at all. Enough people are dying from tobacco and cigarettes, as it says, it doesn't make a difference. I do agree that this is a great marketing strategy, but I mean, come on, peoples health is also important.

Sophia said...

This article is really scary. That 480,000 Americans die prematurely each year because they smoke is really hard to believe. Also, that 20 million people have died from smoking related-diseases is horrible. Just as Shirell said, I can't believe that e-cigarettes are saying that their product is healthier than a regular cigarette! Also, because e-cigarettes target teens using "kid-friendly" taste words is shocking. I really think that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration should complete their plans to extend regulations on e-cigarettes because it would help save the lives of many people.

Clyde C. said...

I found this article very informative on this subject. I have never really understood how e-cigarettes work, but I think I have a better grasp on the subject now. I have also seen many celebrities smoking e-cigarettes, for example, when Samuel L. Jackson was on Fallon, he smoked an e-cigarrett during a sketch/stand-up.

Clyde C. said...

I agree with Sophia. The amount of smoking deaths is even higher than that of alcohol poisoning deaths by a shocking amount of 401,000 deaths.

Katarina said...

I agree with everyone else who commented on this blog that the government should ban it. Why would electronic cigarettes be healthier than regular ones. As other people said, it still emits nicotine. But more people buy because the advertise it as healthy and then after one or two, they can get addicted to it. I agree with Shirell and Juliet that the companies shouldn't have those flavors, why does this company want toe kill more Americans than are already being killed from smoking? I think because they just want to make profit. But I do think the government should ban it. On the other hand, if the government does ban it, I think that many people will protest to get them back since they are so addicted to nicotine. Would they rather have people smoke, or have people all over the country protest against what they did. Furthermore, they can't control what the people do. It's possible that people could sneak cigarettes into their homes or start selling it without the government knowing. I'm still against any kind of cigarettes, since they have killed so many Americans, but I think that bad things can happen too if the government bans it.

Hudson said...

I agree with everybody that smoking is just an absolutely terrible, terrible terrible and discusting thing. I believe smoking and cigarettes should be banned from america. If the govervent cares so much about our safetey, (for example, speed limits, drunk driving, etc.) than why don't they just bann cigarettes and anything smoking related. Whenever I walk by a person smoking, I hold my breath to not inhale the smoke, I absolutely hate it. Smoking can kill you and many have died from it. Some people have holes in their throats because of smoking. They are telling you not to make the same mistake they did, or else you will end up with a hole in your throat. Overal, this article was very informing, and I believe people should be banned from cigars, cigarettes, etc and just live a happier and better life.

Angela said...

This was a really, really great article. By the way people advertise e-cigarettes, it does seem like they would be the healthier option. I agree that people should ban smoking both cigarettes and the electronic option as well. However, from what the article is saying, I still believe that e-cigarettes are healthier than regular cigarettes. For example, each cigarette has 10.2 milligrams of nicotine, but 1.4 milligrams are transported to the person. However, you must take into account that most people smoke more than once a day. This is compared to e-cigarettes, which if the vaper is using 20 milligram solutions (the standard), then 4 milligrams would be delivered to the user. Yet this does not neccesarily mean that all of it is absorbed. So e-cigarettes may deliver more nicotine, which is very harmful. On the other hand, most scientists seem to think that there is a much smaller chance of getting lung cancer with e-cigarettes, a big cause of smoking deaths. Unfortunately, as the article stated, they are still a big problem, especially when people smoke both kinds of cigarette because it defeats a main arguement of e-cigarettes, an alternative to smoking in harmful chemicals from traditional cigarettes. It's actually amazing what techniques e-cigarette makers use to get people to buy their product. Especially flavoring their product to appeal to teens. Also, the term "vaping" only reinforces the concept that people are not smoking, and are inhaling "aerosol vapors" instead of smoke. Anyway, this article was really interesting to read, and I hope more studies come out revealing the truth about e-cigarettes.

Jack said...

Where do I begin? This product is awful. In some ways it is even worse than normal cigarettes, because it appeals to kids. It also has different kinds of harmful chemicals. It even has weed killer ingredients in it. They should really put a ban on these cigarettes immediately. Many people have probably been killed by them. These are almost exactly the same as normal cigarettes. Even though they don't know a lot about them, they should still ban them because these products basically found a loophole in the cigarette ban. Even though they only found a few of the over 70 cancer-causing chemicals found in cigarettes in the e-cigarette vapor, these may be the worst few.
In conclusion, Vaping=Vapid!

Samantha said...

This is a super engaging, fascinating, and interesting article. I had heard of e-cigarettes previously, but never in such depth. It is terrible how they advertise this product, and I hope that laws are passed soon regulating how these e-cigarettes are sold to the public. After reading this article, I formulated a few questions. First, are e-cigarettes are allowed in non-smoking places? It seems to be that these cigarettes wouldn’t be allowed, as civilians can still be in danger from secondhand exposure, but I don’t really know. Secondly, when was the first e-cigarette created? Additionally, are there any e-cigarettes that allow people to feel as if they are smoking, even when they are not ingesting harmful chemicals? Lastly, the article says that “companies often market e-cigarettes as a way for people to quite smoking traditional cigarettes,” but that e-cigarettes actually do not help people stop smoking. What other methods exist, that are actually proven to be pretty effective, that help people quite smoking, and relying on nicotine? I have heard of smokers that quit and chew on sunflower seeds, but I don’t know how effective this method is, and I would also like to know additional methods. Overall, this article is really fascinating, and I enjoyed learning about e-cigarettes, despite the horrifying information I learned about them.

Benjamin z. said...

I disagree with all who have said this is disgusting. News flash, mind your own business. Are e-cigarettes harming you? No. Are you receiving nicotine in excess amounts? No. It is their problem, they have been warned. Face it. You can't stop people from smoking cigarettes. The government can't either. They can restrict where, but not get rid of the idea completely. Better these than regular cigarettes. Those are harmful to the environment. One thing that I do agree with is that they continue marketing to kids, which is bad. Adolescence is a time when children want to fit in and look cool, and part of the reason that children begin smoking so early is because smoking is marketed as a cool thing to do. Also, because they offer flavors, it attracts more children. E-cigarette commercials make e-cigarettes sound really good. This article made e-cigarettes sound like the opposite. Just like this article is convincing you, commercials are convincing many other people that they are good. Wow, 480,000 deaths a year because of a tobacco related disease. There is no tobacco in e-cigarettes!

Benjamin Z. said...

Oh, and I forgot to say that I really enjoyed this article, it was long and well written.

JP said...

This article was very interesting, however I agree with Shirell, I can't believe that they are advertising these, saying that they are not bad for you, when they are still quite addictive and contain nicotine. The one thing that I really found disgusting is that they sell candy and soda flavored e cigarettes that specifically would appeal to kids. Overall this was a very interesting article, but I found it really annoying that these companies saying these are a healthy alternative to smoking.

Davis said...

Unfortunately, regardless of how many times or ways the harmful effects of smoking (electronic or not) are displayed in society, even today it isn't making much of a difference. These e-cigarettes still contain liquid nicotine, a very addictive chemical.

Rachel said...

This is just EEEEWWWWWW. I just with nobody had come out with cigarets in the first place. They are bad for everyone, and nobody should use them.

Alexis said...

I've always been very interested in learning more on this topic, but at the same time I wish that cigarettes were never invented. The reason being that I have asthma myself, and know some relatively distant family members who smoke and have heart diseases that have sometimes carried on to the next generation. Yes e-cigarettes are less harmful, but they still have nicotine, which is extremely addictive and very hard to stop. I can't believe that these companies are advertising to CHILDREN UNDER THE ALLOWED AGE! That should definitely be against the law by now. Its absolutely horrible that such monsters would want kids to smoke just so they can make money. Find a different career! These companies are technically murderers! Overall I really liked how informative this article was, but hate the companies killing children.