In the brain's
hippocampus, a structure critical to the formation of new memories,
newly formed neurons (in white) jostle to enter the fray and form new
connections of their own. In the process, say researchers, some
still-fragile memories may be swept away. (Jason Snyder/AAAS)
4 comments:
Shirell
said...
I found this article very fascinating and really liked the example of a bridge being built over a rushing river. However, I was sad to hear that the scientists have been shocking the animals when they were in certain areas of their cage. I understand that it is for the sake of scientific breakthroughs, but I really think that it is inhumane to fiddle with the reproduction of brain cells in an animals' minds. Contrarily, I think that all of the experiments that went into making this discovery were worth the hardships. Overall, I think that this is really an amazing article.
This was a very interesting article. I always try to think back to when I was an infant, and I don't remember a thing. This was a good explanation for that. I agree with Shirell that it was sad to hear that scientists have shocked animals when they were in their cages for scientific stuidies. But the thing is, there is no other way to do it unless you could just look into their brain. But it was interesting that older mice remembered not to go to that certain place in the cage. It was also interesting that animals that were given agents to help produce more cells in their brain, forgot about that spot and got shocked. It's because when doing that process, some memories get lost. And since when we are infants, the cells are still finding their place, memories get lost there too. Lastly, I did like their analogy at the beginning of building a bridge for neuron to neuron. And if the water is moving fast, it makes it harder to build the bridge which is like connecting memories. Therefore, you cannot remember the memory. In all, I really liked this article and I hope that scientists find out a way to do the mice testing in a less harmful way.
Although this article was enjoyable, this information has been breached many times before. I don't find it as a new discovery, as the human brain's development, as stated, is considerably slow. Especially because adaption without education is difficult, thus the fact that we, as infants, may have not considered this a thing to recollect. I would consider it similar to not remembering what you had for breakfast 2 days ago, in a sense.
This was an amazing article. It had lots of detail, or at least got the point across. Also, the study seemed very concrete in the way they carried it out. It is really cool that we don't have memories of infancy because our first memories are pushed out by quickly generated new memories, and that as we get older, the speed that our brain produces brain cells slows down, causing more concrete memory. The way long term memory is made is through memories being reinforced. Does the fast speed of production of brain cells and new memories of infant times prevent strengthening of memories? I thought that it was super interesting that people can make the brain produce cells faster. Though I agree that shocking the mice was probably slightly painful, it wouldn't overall affect the mouse. On the other hand, speeding up and slowing down the generation of brain cells might even kill them. I'm sure that if our brains are working in some way, it must be intentional. Also, I was wondering, at what age does this rapid development stop? From what I gathered, it seemed to be about 3, which might even seem a bit old for someone to stop remembering childhood events. I also want to know if some memories do remain. If something extremely traumatic or memorable happens to an infant or toddler, will they remember it? Overall, this was a good article and I hope to learn more about this.
4 comments:
I found this article very fascinating and really liked the example of a bridge being built over a rushing river. However, I was sad to hear that the scientists have been shocking the animals when they were in certain areas of their cage. I understand that it is for the sake of scientific breakthroughs, but I really think that it is inhumane to fiddle with the reproduction of brain cells in an animals' minds. Contrarily, I think that all of the experiments that went into making this discovery were worth the hardships. Overall, I think that this is really an amazing article.
This was a very interesting article. I always try to think back to when I was an infant, and I don't remember a thing. This was a good explanation for that. I agree with Shirell that it was sad to hear that scientists have shocked animals when they were in their cages for scientific stuidies. But the thing is, there is no other way to do it unless you could just look into their brain. But it was interesting that older mice remembered not to go to that certain place in the cage. It was also interesting that animals that were given agents to help produce more cells in their brain, forgot about that spot and got shocked. It's because when doing that process, some memories get lost. And since when we are infants, the cells are still finding their place, memories get lost there too. Lastly, I did like their analogy at the beginning of building a bridge for neuron to neuron. And if the water is moving fast, it makes it harder to build the bridge which is like connecting memories. Therefore, you cannot remember the memory. In all, I really liked this article and I hope that scientists find out a way to do the mice testing in a less harmful way.
Although this article was enjoyable, this information has been breached many times before. I don't find it as a new discovery, as the human brain's development, as stated, is considerably slow. Especially because adaption without education is difficult, thus the fact that we, as infants, may have not considered this a thing to recollect. I would consider it similar to not remembering what you had for breakfast 2 days ago, in a sense.
This was an amazing article. It had lots of detail, or at least got the point across. Also, the study seemed very concrete in the way they carried it out. It is really cool that we don't have memories of infancy because our first memories are pushed out by quickly generated new memories, and that as we get older, the speed that our brain produces brain cells slows down, causing more concrete memory. The way long term memory is made is through memories being reinforced. Does the fast speed of production of brain cells and new memories of infant times prevent strengthening of memories? I thought that it was super interesting that people can make the brain produce cells faster. Though I agree that shocking the mice was probably slightly painful, it wouldn't overall affect the mouse. On the other hand, speeding up and slowing down the generation of brain cells might even kill them. I'm sure that if our brains are working in some way, it must be intentional. Also, I was wondering, at what age does this rapid development stop? From what I gathered, it seemed to be about 3, which might even seem a bit old for someone to stop remembering childhood events. I also want to know if some memories do remain. If something extremely traumatic or memorable happens to an infant or toddler, will they remember it? Overall, this was a good article and I hope to learn more about this.
Post a Comment