Friday, May 2, 2014

DARPA- Funded Atlas Robot to Go Tetherless in the Next Six Months

Brought to you by Miss Ghazarian


http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=120453

6 comments:

Katarina said...

This article was very interesting. A huminoid robot of this size being able to walk around by itself! It also says that it will loose the tubes the feed it power, fluids and data. I wonder how it would survive without those power. I found that the point of this robot was to be able to move around on rough terrain unlike other robots which are too fragile to do so. Another article also says that it can balance on one leg while being hit on side over and over. And it can still move around! It also says that the goal of Atlas is to be able to feel things, use tools, have cameras on his head, and a laser to help find the distance between itself and other objects in case of danger. The whole point of building this robot is so that it can go on dangerous missions so that humans don't have to. Lastly, it's being tested soon to see if it can drive cars. I think that this is a great invention and it will be a real breakthrough in science. Though this article didn't have many details, it go me really interested in it and I hope that MIT is successful with Atlas.

Christina said...

This article was amazing. I looked up Atlas's purpose and found that he was meant to rescue victims from natural disasters and things like that. It said that it was started after the Japan's earthquakes and tsunamis. Atlas will be so much help. Like Katarina, I wonder how it will survive without power. Will it run with gas, like a car, or is it battery charged? It's amazing that it'll soon be with data, fluid, and power. If it can just go anywhere, then it's basically like a superhuman that does what we need it to do. However, I also wonder that when Atlas is gone on a long mission, how will scientists keep track of it? I mean, if Atlas "dies" or runs out of batteries or whatever during an important mission, how will scientists know? The people might never be rescued because Atlas ran out of battery on his way there. This is definitely a problem, but I think it's not unsolvable as technology is only growing. What also surprised me is that I found that they are trying to make many of these robots. From the way the article spoke on it, it sounded like one robot. So, I thought that Atlas will really interesting and helpful, and I hope Atlas is built successfully.

Sam said...

Atlas is a very cool robot, but it seems really... useless. I mean, I get it's made to help people survive tsunamis, but it's seems to slow. If it takes it two minutes to move a piece of wood, then how helpful is it really. Sure it may look good and have good features, but it can't do anything. I did some research and found that The robot is better then I thought. It obviously is quick to move, thought it cannot pick up obstacles, however, it is super strong. When a 20 pound weight smacked the robot head on it barely budged. I think that this robot should be used as a fighting robot, like real steal. It seems like it would be very good at fighting due to it's strength and durability. Perhaps this is the future of boxing, perhaps not. all I know is that this robots one tough bot.

Will said...

I think that the Atlas robot is very cool, however clunky and slow. It is disappointing that it takes two minutes for it to pick up one plank of wood and to throw it away. Atlas is supposed to, in the future, save people from disasters, but how can it save anyone if it is so extremely slow? One solace is that it is soon to be upgraded so that it does not need to always be tethered up to computers and tanks full of fluids to make it function properly. I think that the Atlas definitely has some potential for the future, but until it gets majorly fixed up, I don't think that it is very practical or efficient.

Jack said...

I agree with Will and Sam. This robot is definitely cool, but it seems pretty useless. I also found it disappointing that it took two whole minutes to pick up a pice of wood and throw it away. This robot seems very slow and clunky. This article was actually a disappointment to me. It seems we will have to wait 10-20 years, maybe more, for a robot that can do what humans do, such as walk and pick objects up at a normal speed. I also thought they should have covered it up with chrome plating to make it look better. It will be interesting to see whether or not it does things more quickly when it goes untethered or if that slows it down more.

Yvette said...

I thought that this article was really good. In it it describes a tetherless robot. Though I think that this is a really good idea especially if we use it as a response to natural disasters. This would make it safer for the people who would go in after the robot to try to clean up place better. What I think that this robot needs to do is become much faster. The robot took two minutes to move one piece of wood and throw it to the side, and it definitely needs to work much faster than that.Since the robot's joints are powered with oil, how fast the robot uses it and how much oil it can carry are big factors relating to the usefulness of this robot. I was also excited that they were putting a battery pack on the back of the robot, which can serve as an emergency powers source I assume. Though I think that this is a great idea, the robot definitely needs some more work to make it actually effective enough to use as a response to natural disasters.