Pictures of baby Noah showed a milkiness in one eye, which later indicated retinoblastoma.
Elizabeth Shaw, courtesy of Bryan Shaw
15 comments:
Erica
said...
This article was especially interesting because they explained all the information in a very detailed way. I learned so much in this article that I never knew before. It is interesting how you can see in a picture if a child under 5 years old has the disease. In this article, it said Noah survived, but lost one eye. I wondered if you could survive the disease and not lose an eye. I researched this and found that early detection and treatment can increase the chances of survival and vision preservation. I also wondered if when both eyes are white, could you see the difference. I researched this and found that the intensity of the white eye is different in each of the child’s eyes and that the measurement of color concentration is lower in the eye with the larger tumors. I found it amazing that cameras can detect this and show a white eye. This is good because we can then bring the child or infant to the emergency room faster. This will increase the possibility of the child or infant surviving, and the child/infant will be able to keep both their eyes. It is sad how this affects more than 8,000 children each year. But if we all watch out, we can look closely at pictures and make sure there is no white eye. We could also try finding a cure. In the recent blog, there was an article about that a man named William Pollack found a vaccine that saved many infants. This could be exactly the same thing that can happen now if we find a cure. Finding a cure is hard, but we might be able to find one!
It is amazing how an eye tumor can turn your eye white in a photograph while it looks mostly normal otherwise. It would be great if this article could go viral, because then most of the world would see the signs of leukocoria early, and save hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lives. Also, I found it interesting how yellow eyes are a sign of Coat's disease. It seems crazy how over 50 percent of people diagnosed with leukocoria die. Maybe these photos will lower that number down to 30 or 35 percent.
I find it fascinating that a cancer can be detected by a simple picture. I think that the fact that the whiter the eye the greater the tumor is interesting. It gets me thinking, if eye tumors can be detected by shining light on them (or taking a flash picture from a certain angle) then could an ear infection or tumor or cancer be detected by noise, and if so, what kind of noise, what frequency and why? I thought about this question and thought of a possibly effective way to detect if someone has an ear infection. If a person where to be able a certain volume recently and later can't hear it (of course it most be in the same location and volume "distraction"). I thought thought that would interesting and I hope it was so.
This was a fascinating article because it is really helpful to know if your child (under age 5) has a large tumor in its eye. I thought that while this was depressing because this young child had cancer, it is great that people are learning a way to detect eye cancer. I thought that this photo was not only scary, but also really cool. I was amazed at how 8,000 children each year can have a large tumor in their eye. I was amazed by this article because I had never even heard about this disease. I thought that this article was fascinating because it taught me so much about something that I did not even know about! I totally agree with Erica about how this article was so intriguing because it taught me so much about this eye cancer. I wish that Noah could have kept both of his eyes, though. Overall, I thought that this article was fascinating.
I thought that this was an interesting article because it could save more than 4,000 lives of children diagnosed with retinoblastoma. This could really help us because we could diagnose children much earlier than they would be normally. Who knows? Noah may not have lost his eye if the doctors had diagnosed it earlier. I think it is great that Shaw and other doctors are trying to delve deeper into this study. I was researching how doctors usually diagnose this cancer, and it is usually found by chance or a small suspicion because of different symptons (leukocoria, vision problems, lazy eye, bleeding). One website says that sometimes the child will require a biopsy, which can be harmful to the eye. The child will be subjected to image tests, injections, special light tests, and many other checks. Imagine how many days, weeks, or even months that could take. With a new way to diagnose this deadly cancer, we could definitely save lives.
Before even reading this article, I got excited about it right away (and really scared) because my family takes a bunch of pictures every day, all the time, and so I feel fourtunate that there is a benefit to all these photos.
That was probably the most interesting article I've ever read, and I didn't have to look over anything more than once to understand it. I'd definitely rate it a 10/10. What happened to Noah is so sad, but I'm happy that we've figured out that we can find out about the cancer or disease earlier, without going to a doctor. I've always been a loyal Apple customer, and when he mentioned that the iPhone 5 has a better camera that can take a good picture, I got really excited. This was such a fascinating article and I'm really glad I got to read it and learn about what these scientists have discovered. Thanks, Christina!
This article was extremely fascinating. Before this article, I really hated when you would look up for example, kittens, or puppies, and you would just see a bunch of people's babies, but now I understand that sometimes these pictures can be lifesaving. (I still think people should keep their baby pictures to themselves though.) I think that what Erica said was also very interesting, and I also researched and got some of the same answers. I think that articles like this can promote doctors to look for new ways to detect cancers and it is articles like this that are helping us to slowly find a cure to help keep babies, children, and adult healthy.
I think that this article will help save many lives. I also think that it is a great way to tell if they need medical treatment. It is great that we can tell that babies have cancer before it is to late without spending a lot of money. I found it interesting that you can see the light reflecting off of the tumors. I wonder how the light reflects off the tumors.
I think this article was interesting. I never knew there was an eye cancer called retinoblastoma. In the beginning, the article said they boy's father said there wasn't anything wrong with his son. Image what would have happened if his father said there was something wrong. It is also a miracle that this little boy survived this cancer. I also thought it was cool that an eye tumor could make an eye a weird color in a picture.
I was amazed when I found out that you can detect cancer in children under 5 years old by just simply taking a picture. What fascinated me the most is that Noah, after loosing one of his eyes, started reading early and it was normal. I was also fascinated that depending on how white the eye was depended on how severe the cancer was. If all parents knew about retinoblastoma, then would less children be dying every year? What shocked me was that so many children dying each year. I looked a little more into the topic and found out that Coat's disease was bleeding in the eye and could be detected if in pictures the eye was yellow. I think that more diseases could be detected by taking pictures. It is an interesting topic which I might want to look deeper into.
I was fascinated by this article as I never knew about the cancer retinoblastoma. I think it is great that they were able to discover the eye tumor using the red eye glitch on cameras. It is also great that Shaw and a team of scientists are trying to dig deeper into this. It is amazing how many children die, how many of the survivors lose an eye, and how little people get through without losing an eye! But when Shaw saw the milky eye in the photos, he should have reported that right away as their would be a very large chance of saving Noah's eye. I'm really glad though that now it is possible to detect caner using photography.
I'm going to have to give props to technology on this one. First and foremost, I find that Noah's family's story was truly unique and inspiring when one would want to strive to cure a physical or emotional illness. With this new discovery (and even possibly not quite new due to the similar Coats disease discovery), we can appreciate photography from a somewhat whole new perspective, as now it can relate to diagnosing disease and such. I profoundly found the snippet where Shaw warns that there are problems with newer smartphones fascinating, for people may also get misdiagnosed. Yet somewhat irrelevant, I'd like to add that from this study conducted, I ponder that if earphones, radio, and direct loud sound waves to the ear can cause things such as brain tumors?
15 comments:
This article was especially interesting because they explained all the information in a very detailed way. I learned so much in this article that I never knew before. It is interesting how you can see in a picture if a child under 5 years old has the disease. In this article, it said Noah survived, but lost one eye. I wondered if you could survive the disease and not lose an eye. I researched this and found that early detection and treatment can increase the chances of survival and vision preservation. I also wondered if when both eyes are white, could you see the difference. I researched this and found that the intensity of the white eye is different in each of the child’s eyes and that the measurement of color concentration is lower in the eye with the larger tumors. I found it amazing that cameras can detect this and show a white eye. This is good because we can then bring the child or infant to the emergency room faster. This will increase the possibility of the child or infant surviving, and the child/infant will be able to keep both their eyes. It is sad how this affects more than 8,000 children each year. But if we all watch out, we can look closely at pictures and make sure there is no white eye. We could also try finding a cure. In the recent blog, there was an article about that a man named William Pollack found a vaccine that saved many infants. This could be exactly the same thing that can happen now if we find a cure. Finding a cure is hard, but we might be able to find one!
It is amazing how an eye tumor can turn your eye white in a photograph while it looks mostly normal otherwise. It would be great if this article could go viral, because then most of the world would see the signs of leukocoria early, and save hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lives. Also, I found it interesting how yellow eyes are a sign of Coat's disease. It seems crazy how over 50 percent of people diagnosed with leukocoria die. Maybe these photos will lower that number down to 30 or 35 percent.
I find it fascinating that a cancer can be detected by a simple picture. I think that the fact that the whiter the eye the greater the tumor is interesting. It gets me thinking, if eye tumors can be detected by shining light on them (or taking a flash picture from a certain angle) then could an ear infection or tumor or cancer be detected by noise, and if so, what kind of noise, what frequency and why? I thought about this question and thought of a possibly effective way to detect if someone has an ear infection. If a person where to be able a certain volume recently and later can't hear it (of course it most be in the same location and volume "distraction"). I thought thought that would interesting and I hope it was so.
This was a fascinating article because it is really helpful to know if your child (under age 5) has a large tumor in its eye. I thought that while this was depressing because this young child had cancer, it is great that people are learning a way to detect eye cancer. I thought that this photo was not only scary, but also really cool. I was amazed at how 8,000 children each year can have a large tumor in their eye. I was amazed by this article because I had never even heard about this disease. I thought that this article was fascinating because it taught me so much about something that I did not even know about! I totally agree with Erica about how this article was so intriguing because it taught me so much about this eye cancer. I wish that Noah could have kept both of his eyes, though. Overall, I thought that this article was fascinating.
I thought that this was an interesting article because it could save more than 4,000 lives of children diagnosed with retinoblastoma. This could really help us because we could diagnose children much earlier than they would be normally. Who knows? Noah may not have lost his eye if the doctors had diagnosed it earlier. I think it is great that Shaw and other doctors are trying to delve deeper into this study. I was researching how doctors usually diagnose this cancer, and it is usually found by chance or a small suspicion because of different symptons (leukocoria, vision problems, lazy eye, bleeding). One website says that sometimes the child will require a biopsy, which can be harmful to the eye. The child will be subjected to image tests, injections, special light tests, and many other checks. Imagine how many days, weeks, or even months that could take. With a new way to diagnose this deadly cancer, we could definitely save lives.
Before even reading this article, I got excited about it right away (and really scared) because my family takes a bunch of pictures every day, all the time, and so I feel fourtunate that there is a benefit to all these photos.
That was probably the most interesting article I've ever read, and I didn't have to look over anything more than once to understand it. I'd definitely rate it a 10/10. What happened to Noah is so sad, but I'm happy that we've figured out that we can find out about the cancer or disease earlier, without going to a doctor. I've always been a loyal Apple customer, and when he mentioned that the iPhone 5 has a better camera that can take a good picture, I got really excited. This was such a fascinating article and I'm really glad I got to read it and learn about what these scientists have discovered. Thanks, Christina!
This article was extremely fascinating. Before this article, I really hated when you would look up for example, kittens, or puppies, and you would just see a bunch of people's babies, but now I understand that sometimes these pictures can be lifesaving. (I still think people should keep their baby pictures to themselves though.) I think that what Erica said was also very interesting, and I also researched and got some of the same answers. I think that articles like this can promote doctors to look for new ways to detect cancers and it is articles like this that are helping us to slowly find a cure to help keep babies, children, and adult healthy.
I think that this article will help save many lives. I also think that it is a great way to tell if they need medical treatment. It is great that we can tell that babies have cancer before it is to late without spending a lot of money. I found it interesting that you can see the light reflecting off of the tumors. I wonder how the light reflects off the tumors.
I think this article was interesting. I never knew there was an eye cancer called retinoblastoma. In the beginning, the article said they boy's father said there wasn't anything wrong with his son. Image what would have happened if his father said there was something wrong. It is also a miracle that this little boy survived this cancer. I also thought it was cool that an eye tumor could make an eye a weird color in a picture.
I was amazed when I found out that you can detect cancer in children under 5 years old by just simply taking a picture. What fascinated me the most is that Noah, after loosing one of his eyes, started reading early and it was normal. I was also fascinated that depending on how white the eye was depended on how severe the cancer was. If all parents knew about retinoblastoma, then would less children be dying every year? What shocked me was that so many children dying each year. I looked a little more into the topic and found out that Coat's disease was bleeding in the eye and could be detected if in pictures the eye was yellow. I think that more diseases could be detected by taking pictures. It is an interesting topic which I might want to look deeper into.
I was fascinated by this article as I never knew about the cancer retinoblastoma. I think it is great that they were able to discover the eye tumor using the red eye glitch on cameras. It is also great that Shaw and a team of scientists are trying to dig deeper into this. It is amazing how many children die, how many of the survivors lose an eye, and how little people get through without losing an eye! But when Shaw saw the milky eye in the photos, he should have reported that right away as their would be a very large chance of saving Noah's eye. I'm really glad though that now it is possible to detect caner using photography.
I'm going to have to give props to technology on this one. First and foremost, I find that Noah's family's story was truly unique and inspiring when one would want to strive to cure a physical or emotional illness. With this new discovery (and even possibly not quite new due to the similar Coats disease discovery), we can appreciate photography from a somewhat whole new perspective, as now it can relate to diagnosing disease and such. I profoundly found the snippet where Shaw warns that there are problems with newer smartphones fascinating, for people may also get misdiagnosed. Yet somewhat irrelevant, I'd like to add that from this study conducted, I ponder that if earphones, radio, and direct loud sound waves to the ear can cause things such as brain tumors?
I think this is horrible for little babies to have cancer at such a young age. It is great that people come up with medications for things like that.
I think this is horrible for little babies to have cancer at such a young age. It is great that people come up with medications for things like that.
Post a Comment